PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix windows Network

pedro47
02-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to connect a PC with Knoppix to another one with Window XP. (via two Ethernet cards - Both LEDs are lit, so cable OK)

Knoppix PC: (Knoppix 4.0 - (AMD 800 MHz, RAM 512K, No Harddrive))
Windows PC:( Windows XP Pack 2)

The card on Knoppix PC is detected: "lspci" gives: "Ethernet Controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co. Ltd. RTL ...

The command "Netcardconfig" with DHCP gives "operation failed. Failed."

I tryed: "ifconfig eth0 169.254.97.210 netmask 255.255.0.0" because IP adresse from windows PC is 169.254.97.211 (configurated in automatic mode)

And then, in Konqueror: smb://169.254.97.211/
Result: "Internal error"

Please help me,

Pierre

Harry Kuhman
02-20-2006, 10:01 PM
(via two Ethernet cards - Both LEDs are lit, so cable OK)
I have no idea if this is a correct statement. Are you using a cross over cable or a normal straight through cable? This will not work without a cross over cable unless you have at least one special auto-sensing NIC, which most computers do not have and since you didn't post the NIC make I have to assume you don't have either.

The command "Netcardconfig" with DHCP gives "operation failed. Failed."
Well, duh, since there is no DHCP server. (By the way, all of your problems would go away if you considered my generic advice #4 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman). Under $10 AR this week at CompUSA (yea, I know, not much help if your name is Pierre, but I expect you can find similar deals)).

I tryed: "ifconfig eth0 169.254.97.210 netmask 255.255.0.0" because IP adresse from windows PC is 169.254.97.211 (configurated in automatic mode)

And then, in Konqueror: smb://169.254.97.211/
Result: "Internal error"

That 169 address was your IP address when your windows box was connected to the Internet, but you should not be using it and certainly not making up other addresses in that range when hooking up two local computers.

You windows box may not even have that configuration if it has been rebooted, and if not it may still want to talk to the Internet that it has been disconnected from. (and I'm assuming here that the windows box has only one NIC and that you did disconnect it from the Internet to do this). My advice is to reboot both systems and assign IP addresses in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range or the 192.168.xxx.xxx range (but not one of each) and proper net masks, as long as you know that the cable is a good cross over cable (use Google for wiring info). My best advice is still answer #4, all of this will happen automagically for you by DHCP, and regular network cables will work. There is a lot of extra utility as well.

Harry Kuhman
02-20-2006, 10:05 PM
By the way, that IP addres is not a private IP address, but it is not the IP address that you posted from! It's actually an IP address that belongs to an ISP in the UK, not in France. Where did you come up with it?

pedro47
02-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Ok, so on the windows PC I have an other connection to internet on an the motherboard ethernet port ...
The ethernet connection between both PC is via cross over cable. (two ethernet cards)
The 169.254.97.210 adress was in an internet example .. sorry about that I'm a novice in Network configuration.

I restarted both computers, I have configured in windows ("menu network connection") the following adress: 192.168.10.0 and 255.255.0.0 for mask.
I configured in Knoppix: ifconfig eth0 192.168.10.1 netmask 255.255.0.0

I didn't write any DNS serveur adress in windows, should I ?

Thanks for your help,

Pierre

Harry Kuhman
02-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Well, if you are using a cross over cable that part is good. But I have no idea how you are going to get Windows to send Internet traffic to one NIC but when you want to get to the Knoppix box use the other one. They may be a way, I just don't know it. Yea, leave DNS server blank, cause you don't have one and will not be able to do DNS lookup. The numbers you posted should work. But you are certainly making things hard for yourself if you don't use a router, and your windows system is at extreme risk (lets face it' it's very likely already infested with so much stuff that any networking task could be a problem).

pepene
02-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Well i can tell you for sure that if you set up correctly the knoppix it works with the windows in the network. I tested it some time ago and worked just fine.. if it is a private network just try to put the ips 192.168.1.x to both boxes (Linux and WindBlows) and then it should work just fine. Again, check the cable if you have a p2p connection between ur pcs..