PDA

View Full Version : Problem with booting Knoppix DVD

quitjockinme
02-22-2006, 10:10 AM
I have used the Knoppix CD on other computers at work and they boot up fine and so I wanted to learn how to use Knoppix even more on my own time and tried to boot up with Knoppix on my computer. When i restarted with the disc in my drive it boot up the splash screen saying hit f2 or f3 for more options or hit enter to boot up Knoppix, and so i hit enter and it just stalls. I dont know why it doesn't boot up on my computer but it does on the computers at my work place. My computer is a Athlon64 3700+, EVGA nForce4 SLI mobo, 1GB pc3200 OCZ, EVGA 7800GT, chaintech av-710 sound card, netgear wgt311v2 wireless card, two western digital 80gb on ide and seagate 120gb sata, nec dvd-rw 2150a, benq dvd-rw dw1640. I kept on assuming its the video card that was not supported so knoppix couldnt initalize it i suppose.

OErjan
02-22-2006, 05:49 PM
hmm, have you burned that CD slowly? some systems do notlike the fast burns AT ALL!
by slow i mean like 1 or perhaps as high as 4x

quitjockinme
02-22-2006, 11:25 PM
I didnt burn it at 1x or 4x speed but instead I got the cd at my work and boot it up with it, considering it works just fine at my work place. I restarted with the cd in and it did the same thing just stalled after i hit enter, so i restarted and booted up again and this time i hit f3 and ran it in failsafe which it actually showed that it was detecting hardware and after it detected the mouse it would freeze or stall for a long time and then it goes into another screen and it would just give me where artifacts on my screen. So now i dont know whats going on, any help would be much appreciated.

Harry Kuhman
02-23-2006, 12:15 AM
If you think it's the mouse then try a different mouse, or even booting without a mouse at all just to see if you can boot. But OErjan is correct, most of these strange booting problems turn out to be improperly made discs and the most common problem is a disc that was burnt at high speed (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17788). Such discs often seem to work fine on some systems but not on others. Sometimes people don't even realize they have a bad disc and think it's working, but it turns out that Knoppix is much slower than it should be (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=78583#78583). I don't like it, I think if a drive claims to be able to burn at 48x then the burn it makes at 48x should be just as good as the burn it makes at 4x, but that is just not what is happening in the real world. It is likely that if you don't know the history of your disc that it was created at high speed and a slow speed burn may save you an awful lot of time and effort tracking down strange mystery problems (even if you have other hardware issues on that system).

|enouf|
02-24-2006, 05:59 AM
Are you using the CD ? or DVD?
which version ?
try this at boot: prompt
Linux26

review the cheatcodes and try some of those, (like acpi=off apm=off).... they are in /KNOPPIX Directory called knoppix-cheatcodes.txt