PDA

View Full Version : Another Linux Partition...

chipyoung
02-22-2006, 10:01 PM
I am looking for some advice on the best way to solve this problem.

I currently have 3 partitions on my hard drive.
1) A fat32 partition where I have Windows XP installed (37 gigs)
2) A Linux swap partition (1 gig)
3) A Knoppix4.0.2 hard drive install on a ReiserFS partition (15 gig)

This system is using Grub as it's boot loader. Everything is working as it should. What I would like to do is create another partition where I could load either another Knoppix install that would be suitable for testing, or possibly another distribution of Linux, probably Debian.

The scenario, First I would create another ReiserFS partion for my next Linux install. I have over 20 gigs left on this box.

The Questions:
1) If I add another Knoppix install from cd to the new partion would my Grub boot loader file be correct or would I have to manually edit it?
2) Would it be better to copy or mirror my present Knoppix system to the new partition and go from there as a test version? What tools would work for this (i.e. Dd, Partimage, etc)? I am not very experienced with backup and restore in Linux (another reason for a test version). Again how would this effect my boot loader in Grub?
3) If I did add another distribution of Linux what issues would I expect to see?
4) Would any new linux install Knoppix or otherwise use my current swap partion by default?

I am probably being over cautious but I don't want to loose all my work that I put into this box in getting everything running smoothly.

Thank you in Advance,
Chip

nad
02-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Most GNU/Linux distributions are highly configurable even if their installers are not.

IMO the best way to handle the boot loader issue is to manually edit the configuration/menu file for your existing solution. In other words, if you have a working boot loader, don't replace it, learn how to configure it.

I'm not certain of your second question, but, parted will clone a partition very nicely.

Adding another GNU/Linux operating system would affect only the filesystem/(s) where it is loaded.

Learn the details of the installer for any operating system you wish to use and then plan your installation. Most installers will recognize your existing swap partition. Once installed, review and tweak any operating system parameters you wish.