PDA

View Full Version : nothing works!

swanut
02-24-2006, 02:02 PM
i hope someone can help with the following:

when clicking on an application the egg timer in the taskbar revolves and the cursor bounces for about 30 secs, then nothing!

this happens with various apps, eg openoffice, home folder. sometimes the taskbar diappears after it is clicked, sometimes the k menu won't appear. sometimes everything seems to work normally

bizarre thing is that w98 works fine - only known case of w98 outperforming linux?!?

affects live cd and hdd install

hardware athlon 2600, 512 ram, asrock k7s41gx mobo, excelstor 40gb hdd

could the hardware have developed a fault? i seem to remember it working ok

tia, john

dvryknopper
02-24-2006, 09:14 PM
What version of knoppix are you using, the moderators always ask that, posting that information will increase the probability that they or some of the other more experienced users will be able to find out what is wrong and help you. One problem that through skimming through the forums, I have seen reoccur for people is that the iso they burned their knoppix disk with was bad, or they burned it too fast and the disk itself is bad, try reburning the iso at a slower speed in your burner, also, to see if the OS is kicking out some error messages that it is not transmitting in the form of nicely formatted message boxes, try opening one of the programs that is giving you a problem from the terminal and see if it spits out any error messages in there, unless of course you can't open the terminal either, then I would say try reburning it, or reburning it with another download of the iso, hopefully some of the more knowledgable members here can help you out better than I can, but I hope my reply was somewhat helpful :)

UnderScore
02-24-2006, 10:27 PM
I have a Duron 1.GHz, 768 MB ram, with the Asrock k7s41gx mobo and Knoppix works fine on it but If I remember correctly, I did have to use a cheat code to make it boot up. Try the cheatcodes:
knoppix noapic dma
knoppix noapic dma noacpi
knoppix noapic dma noacpi acpi=off

swanut
02-25-2006, 04:58 PM
thanks for the replies guys! :)

further info:

disc is either 4.0 DVD from magazine or 3.3 CD of good repute

every time problem has occured nothing will work (imagine having a KDE desktop with revolving egg timers and nothing else), so can't use vi or emacs to look at kernel logs

on one occaision however, a window did appear saying "KDEInit cannot launch..."

i'm pretty certain this is a hardware problem, if anyone has any ideas or has had similar problems i'd like to hear

Dave_Bechtel
02-25-2006, 08:23 PM
> every time problem has occured nothing will work (imagine having a KDE desktop with revolving egg timers and nothing else), so can't use vi or emacs to look at kernel logs

:shock: This is one reason why Knoppix has (4) TEXT-mode logins, available at Ctrl-Alt-F1 thru -F4...
:roll:

thanks for the replies guys! :)

further info:

disc is either 4.0 DVD from magazine or 3.3 CD of good repute

every time problem has occured nothing will work (imagine having a KDE desktop with revolving egg timers and nothing else), so can't use vi or emacs to look at kernel logs

on one occaision however, a window did appear saying "KDEInit cannot launch..."

i'm pretty certain this is a hardware problem, if anyone has any ideas or has had similar problems i'd like to hear