PDA

View Full Version : Problems with screen resolution

larry_filewalker
02-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Hello, I am new to Knoppix and I am writing for help. I've tried to run Knoppix 3.7 on my old PC but the screen simply gets black after the message -starting X11. I've only managed to enter the graphical interface using the cheatcodes "knoppix screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=75". However, my screen resolution remains only 640x480. My video adapter is Savage 3D with 8 MB of ram. Thanks in advance!
Cheatcodes such as "VGA=normal" or"screen=800x600" also lead to the same effect.
I've done some additional searching and have found that people having the same problem tried entering "kxconfig" in the root shell. However, when I adjust my desired settings and make an attempt to save the configuration on a floppy, I get a message telling me to insert an empty Dos or ext2 formatted disk. I've tried this with several new disks but there is nothing saved. I'm sure that my display supports 1024x768 resolution and 16 or 32-bit colour. Is there a way to make it work this way with Linux? The same problem occurs when running Knoppix 3.2 or 3.8. Additional info about my pc:
-processor- Celeron 366 Mhz;
-ram- 160 Mb SD Ram;
-display- KFC-15;
-hard disk- 10 Gb.