PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix Newbie trying to load some wardriving software?

MikeyMustang
12-31-2002, 12:06 PM
Hello :

First off...I know very little about linux :)...what I am trying to do is..I have a 133 laptop that i want to "Wardrive" with..I have a USB wireless unit...i can get Knoppix to run on the laptop ,but I cant seem to "untar" or run some of the programs like kismet....maybe i just have no clue how to "install" and "run" something in Linux?...can this be done in this boot up version...also since this is a laptop...can i get Knoppix to run without the GUI?.......anyone dont this b4?

thanks for the responce

Mike

Dave_Bechtel
12-31-2002, 06:05 PM
--Unless you're a certified security expert looking to help people secure their open wireless ports, I doubt you'll find much help here. I don't support Wardriving, you friggin' cracker.

--Read up on what happened to Kevin Mitnick for a DAMN GOOD reason to *stop* what you're contemplating, before you get BUSTED.

--And unless you want to learn about Knoppix / Debian / Linux in general, feel free to go away. :twisted:

Sincerely,

Dave (in BOFH mode)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/30/index.html

Hello :

First off...I know very little about linux :)...what I am trying to do is..I have a 133 laptop that i want to "Wardrive" with..I have a USB wireless unit...i can get Knoppix to run on the laptop ,but I cant seem to "untar" or run some of the programs like kismet....maybe i just have no clue how to "install" and "run" something in Linux?...can this be done in this boot up version...also since this is a laptop...can i get Knoppix to run without the GUI?.......anyone dont this b4?

thanks for the responce

Mike

12-31-2002, 06:22 PM
Wardriving is NOT a crime!!!.........all i really needed to know is how to ...and if you can untar and run ANY PROGRAM in Knoppix......I have been a HAM for 25 years...listen to everything including SAC.....I think your comments where uncalled for and rude "friggin cracker"? Cmon was that nice?

have a nice day

Mike

01-01-2003, 10:16 AM
See these:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/29/2236204&mode=thread&tid=99

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=41039&cid=4357138

--You may *think* it's not a crime, but the definition of "Wardriving" is travelling with the intent to locate/mark/use unsecured wireless network access points. 99% of Wardrivers are looking for illegal access to Internet bandwidth. The rest are planning on WARNING the people that own those points that they need to secure their systems.

--If you intend to steal somebody else's bandwidth, I repeat: Stop what you're doing and GO AWAY.

--Period.

End of line. [[MCP]]

Wardriving is NOT a crime!!!.........all i really needed to know is how to ...and if you can untar and run ANY PROGRAM in Knoppix......I have been a HAM for 25 years...listen to everything including SAC.....I think your comments where uncalled for and rude "friggin cracker"? Cmon was that nice?

have a nice day

Mike

01-01-2003, 10:20 AM
There is an included program at Kmenu>internet>airsnort . Supports prism and Orinco cards. Thanks Klaus.

As for being a hacker...Bah. Some people just aren't aware of the public wireless/Mesh networks that are going to someday soon become a new opensource internet like KNOPPIX is opensource software. Wireless internet created and maintained by it's public users.

Check www.communitywireless.com for a glimpse of the future. And maybe start a community network of your own. It's alot like packet radio but easier for everyone to be involved. Don't forget to WARCHAULKING.com the netwrks you find.

01-01-2003, 03:14 PM
BTW if you want to be "eductaed" this is a letter from the FBI warning business in Pittsburgh about wardriving and it states
"Identifying the presence of a wireless network may not be a
criminal violation, however, there may be criminal violations if the
network is actually accessed"

read the whole story here
http://www.airora.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=85

later

Mike

Adam P
01-22-2003, 08:48 PM
The AirSnort Package is included in the Knoppix Distro and the guy has the right to get help here. It is not illegal to use it, if it was then why would knoppix carry that package.

Anyway, my question: I cannot seem to get my Orinoco Gold card in to Monitor mode. Does anyone know what I have to do to make it work? How to patch the Orinoco driver?

01-29-2003, 07:08 AM
also, the only existing wardriving/chaulking laws in the us are in PA, so for that quote to come from pitsburg would make sense and might not have any consequence outside of the keystone state.

Hey, can anyone tell me what a prism card is? I have a hunch that it refers to the chipset present on the card...i have a netgear...is that a prism?

thanks...

Dave_Bechtel
01-29-2003, 08:04 PM
--Perhaps I was a bit hasty. Things happen when you haven't had a decent job for a LONG time, and you sit down at the computer in what the Ents would call a "hasty" mood.

--I should clarify... Detecting wireless networks in and of itself may not be a crime (yet.) Using "security tools" on your own network to help SECURE THE SYSTEM is definitely a Good Thing(TM.)

--However:

1. You better not be connected to the Internet when using those "security tools", or you are bound to piss SOMEBODY off.

2. "Wardriving" carries certain "connotations" with it - i.e. people are using these detection tools to **steal bandwidth.** THAT is what I come down firmly against.

--If there is a public wireless access point, it should ALREADY be clearly labeled as such by the provider(s). If you indeed have no bad intentions, no harm no foul.

There is an included program at Kmenu>internet>airsnort . Supports prism and Orinco cards. Thanks Klaus.

As for being a hacker...Bah. Some people just aren't aware of the public wireless/Mesh networks that are going to someday soon become a new opensource internet like KNOPPIX is opensource software. Wireless internet created and maintained by it's public users.

Check www.communitywireless.com for a glimpse of the future. And maybe start a community network of your own. It's alot like packet radio but easier for everyone to be involved. Don't forget to WARCHAULKING.com the netwrks you find.

stonent
01-29-2003, 09:05 PM
Perhaps everyone should visit the NetStumbler forums:

http://forums.netstumbler.com

As you will see, compromising networks is taboo discussion in the forums and will get you banned. The people there drive and map for the fun of the discoveries.

It is like going on an African safari with a camera instead of a gun.

01-29-2003, 09:30 PM
[..]
Anyway, my question: I cannot seem to get my Orinoco Gold card in to Monitor mode. Does anyone know what I have to do to make it work? How to patch the Orinoco driver?
I have this very same problem. It seems there's indeed a file that still needs to be patched, though, it's read-only... Could use some assistance with this... :?

TheSovereign
01-30-2003, 02:21 AM
wardriving isnt a crime at all
by law....its not illegal to map any ISM band devices location via any means eg. triangulation or transmitted beacon (war driving)
802.11b is an ISM band

the fact you called him a cracker for this tells me your an idiot who really doesnt understand knoppix anyway since it includes wardriving software

Dave_Bechtel
01-30-2003, 06:26 PM
--Heh; yep, this is why the Slashdot crowd has the whole "hacker vs cracker" debate every so often. (Hacker = whitehat / greyhat, cracker = blackhat.)

--I guess I'm a bit sensitive even tho I don't run wireless; my server was being used without my authorization a couple of months ago for anon FTP storage, and I had to lock it down. :evil:

Perhaps everyone should visit the NetStumbler forums:

http://forums.netstumbler.com

As you will see, compromising networks is taboo discussion in the forums and will get you banned. The people there drive and map for the fun of the discoveries.

It is like going on an African safari with a camera instead of a gun.

Dave_Bechtel
01-30-2003, 06:31 PM
--Why don't you shut up before you embarrass yourself further, you grammar-challenged little Troll, and discover the fact that I'm one of the most helpful people on this board. :roll:

the fact you called him a cracker for this tells me your an idiot who really doesnt understand knoppix anyway since it includes wardriving software

minhsao
03-27-2003, 04:43 PM
FYI
kismet 2.6 is now on Knoppix 3.2

Ambrose
05-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Hrmmmmm

Klause included Kismet in Knoppix, perhpaps he should be arrested for aiding criminals?

Perhaps the author of Kismet should be arrested for aiding criminals?

Perhaps YOU should be arrested for being a though criminal!

minhsao
05-12-2003, 04:55 AM
Hrmmmmm

Klause included Kismet in Knoppix, perhpaps he should be arrested for aiding criminals?

Perhaps the author of Kismet should be arrested for aiding criminals?

Perhaps YOU should be arrested for being a though criminal!

Why is using kismet a crime??? Why is using a software that pick up signals off the air a crime... if you don't want people to pick it up then don't broadcast it or at least encrypt it!!!!

BTW there are other legit uses for kismet as well....

min