PDA

View Full Version : connecting internet over windows LAN

mmeric
02-25-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm a newbie. I Use knoppix 4.0.2 live dvd edition at my workplace. We have a windows LAN, I can connect to the internet with same machine when I boot windows XP, but I can't with knoppix. Knoppix detects my network hardware properly and I can see my network over samba but when I try to connect internet my browser says "connected with ...com waiting for reply" but nothing happens. Can I do something for correct this.

Thanks for your help

yours sincerely

Harry Kuhman
02-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Answer #3 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman)

ruymbeke
02-25-2006, 08:26 PM
I'm a newbie. I Use knoppix 4.0.2 live dvd edition at my workplace. We have a windows LAN, I can connect to the internet with same machine when I boot windows XP, but I can't with knoppix. Knoppix detects my network hardware properly and I can see my network over samba but when I try to connect internet my browser says "connected with ...com waiting for reply" but nothing happens. Can I do something for correct this.
Thanks for your help
yours sincerely
Check if you browser is setup with a proxy (cache) or ask your sys admin about the proxy setup.
Most companies are using this in combination with a "nasty" (proxied) firewall to secure their network.
Hope this helps,
Gilles

skitzojase
03-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Try using the command pump in a shell.

pump -i eth0

or

pump -i eth1

this will configure an IP address for your PC. You'll probably find that your connected but you haven't been given a specified IP address.
this command has to be run as root. I think knoppix uses root on live version.

Jason