PDA

View Full Version : cdrom cdrom1

canjohn
02-25-2006, 05:53 PM
I too am very new to Linux (1 week) and trying to decide if I want to forego MS on one machine. I am "playing" with Knoppinx 4.0 live-cd on a celeron 400 256K machine with a DVD and CD burner.

Knoppix (and KDE and all the other stuff) seems to load and run fine. It finds two cdroms and KDE puts two icons on the desktop cdrom (which is my DVD) and cdrom1 (my burner). However ONLY cdrom (which contains the Knoppix live cd) works. WHen I click on it Konquerer opens and displays the Knoppix dvd files.

BUT, WHen I click cdrom1 there is some brief cdrom activity (as expected), but then I get the following message - "Unable to run the command specified, The file or folder file:///mnt/cdrom1 does not exist" I get the same message whether or not there is a cd in the drive.

Any help could be really appreciated -- Thank you. JJJJ

More Infor --
I just discivered that I can read an Knoppix boot disk and a disk of MP3 files. BUT I cannot read a regular music CD. Is there somethng I need to know about music cds.

JJJJ

|enouf|
02-25-2006, 11:24 PM
whoops ;)

|enouf|
02-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Sounds like you may have run into DRM and perhaps "copyright" issues

So the CDRW (cdrom1) works fine otherwise ? -- except for Music CDs ??

Note -- DRM is n-a-s-t-y stuff -- with Rootkits and worse -- any "Music CD" that requires you to accept a EULA just to listen to it, needs to be thrown into the fire and smelted -- and the Corp that made it needs to be sued and boycotted

Harry Kuhman
02-25-2006, 11:46 PM
any "Music CD" that requires you to accept a EULA just to listen to it, needs to be thrown into the fire and smelted -- and the Corp that made it needs to be sued and boycotted
No, it needs to be returned for a refund so that the sellers give the proper feedback to the labels. And, of course, the lawsuits are a nice idea, although in reality only the lawyers generally get more than couponds over them.

nad
02-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Audio cd's are not _mounted_.

Simply point your player software to the device you wish it to use and the application will take care of the low level necessities needed to read the data (audio files) from the cd. You may need to configure your music players' input library. Look for an "options" menu.

|enouf|
02-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Audio cd's are not _mounted_.

After thinking about that -- I think you're right ;)
AudioCDs (Store bought type and "Pressed/Stamped") are usually CDA/CDDA format - yes?
They're not ISO-9660 (CD-R/RW), nor UDF (like CD-RW disks you make are), which are mount-able File systems (IFS's in linux). Nor are they whatever file system(s) the newest 'mt fuji' and 'mt ranier' or DVD-RAM specs are..(not certain/familiar with any of these file systems....as of yet) -- I guess they'd be UDF also, but RAM has defect hardware management too, whatever the file system it uses.

In winblows, you usually only get Shortcuts (1kb) to the "tracks" (on "Pressed" AudioCDs) and when viewed/browsed in WinExploder you get the typical Track01, Track02, Track03, etc format (unless there's ID3 tags your software reads as well)....It's only when you go to BURN that AudioCD, that it's Tracks (and their file Sizes can be seen, noticed).

Can you go into some more specifics about that nad ? Surely Linux can (should be able to) extract the data where windblows cannot - perhaps with libdvdcss type libraries, etc ?

nad
02-26-2006, 08:26 PM
For an overview, you may start with :
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO

There is a wealth of information on the net regarding audio files and formats.

To quickly manipulate the audio data, get cdparanoia . I'm not using knoppix at the moment, but I know that there is a debian package.

|enouf|
02-26-2006, 09:05 PM
For an overview, you may start with :
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO

There is a wealth of information on the net regarding audio files and formats.

To quickly manipulate the audio data, get cdparanoia . I'm not using knoppix at the moment, but I know that there is a debian package.
thanks;
I'm on Debian Sarge (3.1r1) and I haven't booted to Knoppix(LiveCD) in awhile....
but check it out;

$ locate cdparanoia
/usr/bin/cdparanoia
/usr/share/doc/cdparanoia
/usr/share/doc/libcdparanoia0
/usr/share/doc/libcdparanoia0/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libcdparanoia0/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libcdparanoia0/FAQ.txt.gz
/usr/share/doc/libcdparanoia0/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/libcdparanoia0/README.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/cdparanoia.1.gz
/var/cache/apt/archives/cdparanoia_3a9.8-11_i386.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libcdparanoia0_3a9.8-11_i386.deb
/var/lib/dpkg/info/cdparanoia.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/cdparanoia.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/cdparanoia.preinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libcdparanoia0.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libcdparanoia0.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libcdparanoia0.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libcdparanoia0.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libcdparanoia0.shlibs

I also checked with Aptitude and I have cdparanoia installed already ;)
Just haven't had time to play with it

canjohn
02-27-2006, 04:38 PM
WOW folks -- this has gone way beyond me.

I still cannot figure out what the problem is here. I have gone into XMMS Prefernces. There was a place (sorry can't recall the details) where I could check the disk. XMMS could apparently read the disk but could not find /media directory. I can't either. Should there be one - should I create one? Also. I neglected to note that the cdrom1 is a CD-RW (not sure tht makes any difference).

I still cannot get the drive to read a commercial or other cda disk. When I try to munt it there is a few seconds of disk activity and then I get the following KDesktop message - file:///mnt/cdrom1 does not exist.

Again any more help could be appreciated.

|enouf|
02-27-2006, 05:45 PM

I still cannot figure out what the problem is here. I have gone into XMMS Prefernces. There was a place (sorry can't recall the details) where I could check the disk. XMMS could apparently read the disk but could not find /media directory. I can't either. Should there be one - should I create one? Also. I neglected to note that the cdrom1 is a CD-RW (not sure tht makes any difference).

I still cannot get the drive to read a commercial or other cda disk. When I try to munt it there is a few seconds of disk activity and then I get the following KDesktop message - file:///mnt/cdrom1 does not exist.

Open a Konsole and type this;
sudo cat /etc/fstab
should see some entires like this;

/dev/hdd /media/cdrom1 iso9660 rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0

post the WHOLE output of your file though

|enouf|
02-27-2006, 05:46 PM

sudo cat /etc/fstab
should see some entries like this;

paste the WHOLE output of your file though

|enouf|
02-27-2006, 05:47 PM

sudo cat /etc/fstab
should see some entries like this;

paste the WHOLE output of your file though
Please tell us what CDs you are trying with (AudioCD, DataCDs. Premade, Store bought, MP3s, DVDs, etc)

nad
02-27-2006, 06:00 PM
With XMMS open, right click anywhere on the player and select: Play -> Play AudioCD .

Your player does need to know where to find the audio cd.

canjohn
02-27-2006, 06:06 PM
SOLUTION FOUND

I got the audio cd to play using XMMS. Here is what I did

1. I went into O(ptions) on the XMMS menu - left side marked by an O
2. I went into Preferences
3. I selected audio CD player, Then Configure, Then Options.
4. Under Default CD Device I changed from /dev/cdrom (which has Knoppix DVD) to /dev/cdrom1 (my cd-rw device).
5. I went back to the Preference dialogue and clicked on CD Audio Player
6. I clicked on COnfigure again.
7. This time I clicked Add Drive at the bottom. In Device I added /dev/cdrom1. I also changed to Digital Audio Extraction.

I am not sure which or if all the changes made the differences and after 3 days of tyring did not want to go back. I will experiment when I next start the LiveCD since I figure I will loose these changes. THanks for those who replied and got me thinking about the Prefereces!! JJJJ