PDA

View Full Version : Screen Goes Blank After Loading Knoppix

raZer
02-27-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm brand new to linux, so please go easy on me. :)

I've burnt knoppix to cd and manage to boot from it on one of my PCs.
It boots up and when it says "press enter to load LiveCD" I press enter. Then after a second or so it says something like:
"You passed an undefined mode number"
"Press <enter> to see video modes or press space to continue"
I press space and then it proceeds to load Knoppix.
After a while it says "Loading X Windows" and then my screen just goes black and nothing happens.

Please can you explain how to fix this!

Thanks a lot,
raZer

UnderScore
02-27-2006, 07:29 PM
The
"You passed an undefined mode number"can be ignored. You can enter a zero "0" or just press enter.

It sounds like knoppix is doing the best it can at autodetecting the video hardware (perhaps getting it wrong) & then setting a resolution & refresh rate that is beyond the capabilities of the hardware. Try booting knoppix with some Cheat Codes (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes), such as:
knoppix screen=800x600 xvrefresh=60
knoppix screen=640x480 xvrefresh=60

I hope this helps.
James

raZer
02-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks James.

How do I enter cheat codes?
Must I type it in when it says "press enter to boot knoppix"?

UnderScore
02-27-2006, 07:38 PM
yes

raZer
02-27-2006, 07:51 PM
It still says "you have passed an undefined mode number" after I enter the cheatcode and then it proceeds to load up with a small font and then gets stuck at the same place!

Is there some way I can use it without having this X Windows thing?

Harry Kuhman
02-27-2006, 08:44 PM
How do I enter cheat codes?
You didn't bother to read the Cheat Code article in the wiki (reached by following the documentation link near the top of this page), did you? I say this because you likely would not have asked this and your later question if you had.