PDA

View Full Version : About owner and group

satimis
02-28-2006, 03:21 AM
Hi folks,

Knoppix 4.0.2

I have data files about 1.2G transferred from another PC onto a partition of this PC prepared for working on Knoppix. The owner and group after tranfer are 500:500 which can be edited by any user.

On normal booting Knoppix other than "knoppix 1" (or something like that) it is user mode. After mounting the partition on KDE desktop I can open files on that partition but I can't edit them unless saving them to /home/Knoppix/tmp first. However after saving the owner and group become knoppix: knoppix. It becomes a little bid complicate to me. Still I could not save them back to the partition unless working on a console as root with "cp" or "mv"

Are there solutions overcoming such problem. What I need is starting Knoppix as user to work on those files and resave them back to the partition with owner and group, 500:500, not knoppix:knoppix. Otherwise the edited files can't be worked on another PC as user unless re"chown" them first.

TIA

B.R.
satimis

nad
02-28-2006, 12:52 PM
You need a tutorial about System Administration which this post is not going to be. There are hundreds of books and university courses on the subject.

Have you tried setting up a share and making all users members of the share? Have you tried using a GNU/Linux distribution meant for this kind of office productivity?