PDA

View Full Version : cant get knoppix to boot from cd rom

big
05-07-2003, 09:26 PM
hi everyone

i cant get knoppix to boot from cd rom desite having changed the boot setting in the bios to boot from cd rom. I always seem to go straight it in to windows.

I then tried making a boot floppy

i typed knoppix as the image file
and then a drive
and then i get an error about a bad sector on my floppy everytime, despite the floppys being new......

help

lol

thanks

A. Jorge Garcia
05-08-2003, 12:40 AM
OK, lets be a bit more specific as to how you made your boot floppy so I can help you with that.

Regards,

big
05-08-2003, 11:18 PM
hi guys,

Have managed to get a little closer to getting knoppix to run. I disovered that i was creating the floppy with the wrong file. i needed to use the image file ie boot img file.......Anyways now i can boot to floppy and i get the knoppix screen and the command prompt. It then says press f2 for help. I just hit return becuase thats what my friend said worked for him

so then then it all look likes its working i get coloured writing on my screen. but then my monitor goes in to standby mode.........

thats as far as i got...

i have tried pressing f2 and trying the various options like expert etc but still no joy. My monitor always seems to hang or go in standby mode.

I have a fujitsu monitor 15 inch

A. Jorge Garcia
05-09-2003, 01:25 AM
Its probably your video card - what is it? If you got all the colored letters on the boot screen, it should tell in there. You probably just need the right cheatcode from the F2 screen.

For example,
knoppix xmodule = vesa
or something.

I need more info!

Regards,

Stephen
05-09-2003, 02:15 AM
Try knoppix noddc to stop auto detection of the monitor it causes problems with some monitors.

big
05-10-2003, 10:06 AM
thanks stephen,

I used the command to skip the hardware detection business and it worked ...whoooooooo whooooooooooooo

:)