PDA

View Full Version : System crashes when creating compressed file system

insolit
02-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Hi!
In both computers here at home, when i'm making the compressed file system, the system crashes.
In one I have 1 GB of RAM plus 600 of swap and in the other 512 MB of RAM and 600 of swap.
What could cause the crashes?

tr
03-03-2006, 09:13 PM
In both computers here at home, when i'm making the compressed file system, the system crashes.
In one I have 1 GB of RAM plus 600 of swap and in the other 512 MB of RAM and 600 of swap.
What could cause the crashes?

I had a same kind of problem in my remastering. My DVD is 2 GB and I have 2 GB ram + 1.5 GB swap. I didn't notice that my kernel supported only 1 GB memory and that was not enough. So I compiled kernel with 4 GB support and now making compressed fs almost fly! Doing a 2 GB compressed fs needs about 2.7 GB memory. So my " GB ram isn't enough - about 700 swap is also needed.

If you want to compare, my uptime showed about 8 when it is in normal use near zero. The system almost halted because of lacking memory.

-tapsa-

insolit
03-04-2006, 01:08 AM
Exactly... I'm really convinced it's a problem with memory. I run top to keep track of the compression, and it keeps eating memory and when memory ends, the system crashes. So I created a 3 GB swap partition+600MB partition and 512 of real memory... After this it worked!