PDA

View Full Version : Executing Program wich requires root privileges?

rozen
03-02-2006, 01:47 AM
Hi,

I have used klik to install a couple of programs, "gazpacho" and "firestarter". When I click on the icon for gazpacho it runs fine. When I click on the "firestarter" desktop icon, I get a message saying that I require root privileges to run firestarter. I believe that that message come from firestarter.

I tried:

sudo ~/.zAppRun firestarter_1.0.3-1.1.cmg

and recieved the message:

Unable to mount /tmp/app/2.

What command should I have used??

Thanks

probono
03-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Since Firestarter tries to set up your firewall settings, it needs root privileges to operate.
Please see http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23005

rozen
03-03-2006, 12:56 AM
I tried following the example sited and got the following messages:

Bash ajax rozen [~] ->su
root@ajax:/home/rozen# ./.zAppRun Desktop/firestarter_1.0.3-1.1.cmg
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

(firestarter:29635): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
./.zAppRun: line 167: /root/.kde/share/applnk/klik/di_3.11.dfsg.1-1.cmg.desktop: No such file or directory
./.zAppRun: line 167: /root/.kde/share/applnk/klik/firestarter_1.0.3-1.1.cmg.desktop: No such file or directory
./.zAppRun: line 167: /root/.kde/share/applnk/klik/gazpacho.cmg.desktop: No such file or directory
./.zAppRun: line 167: /root/.kde/share/applnk/klik/skype.cmg.desktop: No such file or directory
./.zAppRun: line 167: /root/.kde/share/applnk/klik/smb4k.cmg.desktop: No such file or directory
./.zAppRun: line 167: /root/.kde/share/applnk/klik/xvnc4viewer_4.0-8.cmg.desktop: No such file or directory

I am running Knoppix 4.0.2

probono
03-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server

This means that your system is set up to refuse X applications running under the root account for security reasons.
man xhost
shows you how to allow the root user to run graphical applications.

Regards,
probono

jacksonon
03-29-2006, 04:37 AM
Hey,

The only way I could get firestarter to work via "sudo firestarter" is simply:

1.) login as root (su -)

2.) cd /home/username

3.) cp .Xauthority /root/cya,

Will