PDA

View Full Version : Accelerated-KNOPPIX - new version 1.0

pgluth1
03-02-2006, 06:06 AM
I just booted Accelerated-KNOPPIX - a Japanese version of Knoppix that boots in less than 60. Full details on their website, but I must admit, requests for the download have swamped their server. It took me about 30 times to get in to download.

In short, it does what it is supposed - fast booting knoppix.

http://www.alpha.co.jp/ac-knoppix/index_en.html

anyone else tried it yet?

hidetan
03-08-2006, 01:52 AM
Hi all

I think notification being late, without excuse very much.
Originally if is, perhaps this comment it should contribute to the news forum.

We did not think that access concentrated like this.
So, we prepared bittorrent.

http://knoppix.alpha.co.jp/iso/accelerated/Accelerated-KNX_20060228.iso.torrent
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.jp/lcat/19117/Accelerated-KNX_20060228.iso.torrent

Please let me know the used comment, and your hardware enviroment.

As for me, being to use this as for strange thing please do not make the air.
http://translate.google.com/translate_t

hidetan
03-08-2006, 12:28 PM
This iso is Japanese version.

However, you can try the following boot option.
----------------------
boot: knoppix lang=us
----------------------

It is the intention the among those, of having coming in English edition and.

poiuytrewq
05-17-2006, 11:34 PM
17 may 2006

I downloaded the ISO yesterday - 6 files corrupted in transit (the burn verified, but the MD5 check failed on 6 files, ergo the origin of the errors was transmission). It took an hour to download over a wide pipe (academic) on a machine doing nothing else, which normally loads an ISO in about five minutes. Must be the server jam.

Nevertheless, it booted and sort of worked. The GUI freezes up frequently due to the errors, and the boot was quick but not especially fast, perhaps also due to the errors. I like the Japanese default - it gave me an opportunity to brush up my reading skills.

This ISO image needs MIRRORS. Anybody have the juice to provide some mirror service? I don't have access to bittorrent, and can't figure out how to use it anyway. I've heard reports that bittorrent can also be a dog - depending on other activity at download time.

Finally, those automated translation programs are a joke, ne? I was especially amused by:

"As for me, being to use this as for strange thing please do not make the air."

If you'd like some help translating your Japanese readmes & docs into proper English, perhaps I could help. My Japanese is rough, but I can read well enough to figure out what it is supposed to mean and then construct a proper English sentence from scratch. So here is what I think you mean (interpreting the Janglish):

Hi all

Sorry for the late reply.
Nevertheless, this comment should be a useful contribution to the forum.

We did not expect such an overwhelming response to our release, so, we prepared a bittorrent file:

http://knoppix.alpha.co.jp/iso/accelerated/Accelerated-KNX_20060228.iso.torrent
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.jp/lcat/19117/Accelerated-KNX_20060228.iso.torrent

Please share your user experiences, and be sure to provide information about your hardware when describing any problems encountered.

As for the translation software, I am not familiar with it, so please don't mock my English.
http://translate.google.com/translate_t

Harry Kuhman
05-18-2006, 12:26 AM
I don't know about this ISO, but most Linux ISOs available for download also offer a md5 file that can be downloaded too. This file allows checking of the ISO before burning rather than after.

This ISO image needs MIRRORS. Anybody have the juice to provide some mirror service? I don't have access to bittorrent, and can't figure out how to use it anyway. I've heard reports that bittorrent can also be a dog - depending on other activity at download time.
Your inability to figure out how to use BitTorrent reflects poorly on you, not on BitTorrent. It's pretty well covered in the Downloading FAQ. I suggest that you read that and if you still can't figure it out, try asking.

I would say that the reports that you have heard are nonsense. Sure anything can be a dog, particularly depending on other activity at the time (duh!), but in my experience with Knoppix ISOs, BitTorrent downloading tends to be much faster than mirror downloading when the system is configured properly. And BitTorrent downloading does not suffer from the ISO corruption that you reported (it can often even rapair a faulty ISO that was downloaded from the mirrors whithout redownloading the entire file!)

poiuytrewq
05-21-2006, 12:09 AM
20 May 2006

Harry writes:
"I don't know about this ISO, but most Linux ISOs available for download also offer a md5 file that can be downloaded too. This file allows checking of the ISO before burning rather than after."

Yes, this ISO offers the MD5 file at the download site, yes I am familiar with the process of verifying, but for my 60 cents (the price of a CD) it is quicker and easier to just burn and boot, especially when I weigh the value of my time versus putzing around trying to remember (or relearn) a process I never use. Also, when you consider the overwhelming cost of this distribution is the download time, finding out it is a bad download before burning saves nothing, and in fact would have deprived me of a very illuminating (albeit damaged) first trial of accelerated Knoppix, which would have made the exercise a total waste of time.

Harry continues:
"Your inability to figure out how to use BitTorrent reflects poorly on you, not on BitTorrent. It's pretty well covered in the Downloading FAQ. I suggest that you read that and if you still can't figure it out, try asking."

My, my, aren't we touchy. My intention is not to slam bittorrent, or anyone else for that matter. I am simply not interested in wasting my time learning somebody else's latest digital fixation, especially when normal mirror channels suffice for a very inexpensive, hands off, braindead, download-burn-try, which, over a wide pipe, works perfectly most of the time. I have enough activities of my own, and like all humans, my brain capacity is finite.

Incidentally, I did visit the bittorrent site before downloading, and like many sites with a focus on the digerati, it is less than literate in the historical sense of the word. This is not intended to be a slam either, but simply an observation that many of you youngsters principally preach to the choir, without considering that there are many intelligent, talented, capable, interested folks, whose expertise lies somewhat outside that of the professional bit slinger - those who would rather spend their very finite resources on activities nearer and dearer to the heart. In my case, that would be plasma physics. One of the major purposes of LiveCDs is something of an outreach program to those of us who are so often treated as though we are complete morons, isn't it?

Harry opines:
"Sure anything can be a dog, particularly depending on other activity at the time (duh!),..."

Well, if you must know, the individual who told me about poor bittorrent performance was of the opinion that when very few downloads are occuring concurrently, or if most of the downloaders are "leeches", little is to be gained, especially over a wide pipe. The bittorrent FAQ, as you are no doubt aware, corroborates this opinion. Considering again the value of time, it was, and is, simply a wiser decision for me to set an unused computer going, and go do something else.

Oh, by the way, getting the opinion of a trusted colleague is "asking". It is possible to have an in person conversation with a living human being offlline, and some of us actually prefer the experience.

=
=

Returning to the topic of this thread, which Harry must realize, being a moderator, is not bittorrent, but accelerated Knoppix, the principal points of my post were that this distribution has merit, and there are two barriers impeding wider distribution, namely:

1) The lack or mirror support, which unequivocally impairs accessibility, irrespective of the value of bittorrent, and

2) The fact that Japanese is a comparatively exotic language for most, and the distribution web site is largely in Japanese.

Elaborating more on the merit, even with a damaged ISO, the novelty of the boot mechanism is apparent. The creator of this distribution also offers an open source tool kit, so others may use the technique in their LiveCDs. Of course it is in Japanese, so those who are unable to read Japanese may not have noticed this when they visited the download site.

In closing, normally I am disinclined to participate in the egocentric, futile bickering that so many forum threads seem to devolve to so rapidly. Therefore, may I suggest that further posts stay on topic, which is, specifically, sharing your experiences with this novel distribution, or contributing constructive suggestions for improving its availability to those of us who are mere mortals, with no shame about our limitations. Criticising me about my bit slinging limitations is as insane and pointless as it would be for me to criticise you about your natural language limitations.