PDA

View Full Version : Booting sequence gets stuck on this one part.

jacksonon
03-02-2006, 10:04 PM
I start booting up Knoppix 4.0.2 CD and I get to the part where it is looking at the network devices and this is what is on the screen...

Network Device eth0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP. (Backgrounding)
Network Device eth1 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP._

That's it. It gets hung up there and I have to do a hard, cold reboot. I turned off my router/DSL modem but that still didn't work. I tried 5 times and every time is the same thing.

What can I do to get past this?

I have an Averatec laptop with a Turion processor and 1GB DDR RAM. The bootup sequence is nice and colorful all the way up to that point with the network device. All USB devices, processor, RAM, harddrive, everything is detected.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

UnderScore
03-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Knoppix does the very best it can to automatically figure out what hardware the PC has & it does this without human intervention. In your case it looks like it is finding the wired & wireless ethernet devices & is failing to initialize the wireless. You will need to tell knoppix to boot with certain settings called Cheat Codes http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes that will tell knoppix to not initialize the DHCP for all network devices.
knoppix nodhcp

Then when knoppix is up & running, you can either run the command netcardconfig or use the menu item in the Knoppix menu.

I hope this helps.
James

Structure7
03-03-2006, 08:12 AM
Just to stoke the coals a little here...

After the cheat, what do you do once loaded to get eth0 or eth1 where it should be?

UnderScore
03-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Just to stoke the coals a little here...

After the cheat, what do you do once loaded to get eth0 or eth1 where it should be? Ummmm, I already explained this. Afer knoppix is running, either open a command line window and use the command netcardconfig or use the menu item in the Knoppix menu to configure the network card eth0.

zoltanthegypsy
03-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Afer knoppix is running, either open a command line window and use the command netcardconfig or use the menu item in the Knoppix menu to configure the network card eth0.

I use this work-around on some of my boxen that hang this way. Unfortunately, if I do a manual config and select dhcp, they hang again :( Static IP works but requires a little more effort ;) This typically happens on a system w/only one wired NIC - no wireless.

Has anyone dug a little deeper into this? Any way to use dhcp? I'm putting together a remastered CD and bootable USB fob for a friend who does a lot of Winxx rescue/recovery and it isn't always easy for him to know the subnet address in advance. For that matter, any way to figure _that_ out before the NIC has an IP address assigened?

Thanks,
Z.