PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 4 won't see other HD partition

Wolfie
03-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Hi Folks,
I'm a newbie playing with Knoppix 4.0, deciding if one day I want to install Linux to dual boot with XP. I used to use Linux 10 years ago, but I can't remember anything now. When I load Knoppix, it sees my C: drive but not my D: drive which is a partition on the same WD SATA HD. Knoppix will see my Floppy, CD-ROM and DVD Burner fine but the D: drive never shows up or is accessible. The C: drive shows as SDA1
Anybody have an idea what is going wrong? Thanks for the help, I'm trying to learn to swim all over again.

Wolfie

Harry Kuhman
03-03-2006, 12:04 AM
I don't have any experience with Knoppix and SATA but if it sees one partition then I would expect it to see the entire partition table. Anything you want to tell us about that second partition? What type of partition is it? Is it on a primary partition or a logical drive on an extended partition? I would have expected it to be SDA2 if a physical partition, or SDA5 if a logical drive on an extrended partition. In what way does Knoppix not see it? Are you getting only a desktop icon for the first partition? Have you tried going to the shell and doing a mount command (and if so what is the error)?

As a last ditch effort I might try letting gpart look at the partition table and tell you what it thinks of the hard drive, although I certainly would not let it make any changes in this case.

Wolfie
03-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Hello,
My D: drive is an extended NTFS partition. There is an icon on the desktop for SDA1 which is my C: drive but one never shows up for my D: drive. Nor can I browse to or access this partition. My buddy runs the same version of Knoppix on his system and it shows all 4 partitions of his SATA drive. As for the mount command, I'll have to look that one up. Told you I was a newbie.

Wolfie