PDA

View Full Version : 'Bootfrom' cheatcode gives 'Error: module cloop is in use'

rollo11
03-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Trying to boot Knoppix from the hard disk using the "bootfrom=/dev etc" boot code.

I made an .iso of my Knoppix DVD, called it 'knoppix.iso' and put it in a hard disk partition /dev/sda4. On reboot I specified knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda4/knoppix.iso at the prompt. But it hits an error and reverts to the DVD image:

inserting /modules/cloop.ko
error: module cloop is in use

I'm confused. This is something about loopbacks and perhaps file locations, right? Pointers appreciated.

|enouf|
03-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Have you tried just tohd=/dev/sda4 to let Knoppix copy the DVD image over to HDD via itself
(hmmm..I forget if either "Knoppix" needs to be in the command or not -- ala >> "Knoppix tohd=/dev/sda4" )

Once done, then use fromhd=/dev/sda4

Is this an SCSI drive or External USB key or USB drive or SATA drive?

rollo11
03-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Thanks enouf for your response.

Yep I did try the tohd=/dev/sda4 beforehand. This took a while and copied a few files to the partition in question, including one called just "KNOPPIX". But when booting I got the "cloop" error. Searching brought practically nothing on the exact error message received. But did I read something about needing to use different partitions for different files..?

In the end I gave up and installed Kanotix. Which worked perfectly, involved no command lines and took about 10 minutes. Much simpler.

hairy.plotter
03-13-2006, 10:35 PM
This is indeed a problem, this mechanism used to work in 3.9 CD version, in the 4.x DVD version it never worked.