PDA

View Full Version : Help with wireless networking

DukeXC
03-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Hi, I just downloaded Knoppix, and myself being slightly computer illiterate I can't figure out how to connect to our wireless network.

My wireless card is a Belkin V1799 D7000, chipset BCM4318, here (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=136479) is a link to the product description. The official driver is Windows-only. Our wireless network is encrypted. Knoppix can't actually even find the card.

If it helps any our ISP is Comcast.

integralparts
03-08-2006, 06:30 AM
I recently gave up trying to run windows on my laptop, and am trying to solve the same problem.
I'll post some help when I find it..

giant_toaster
03-08-2006, 03:07 PM
You probably need to use ndiswrapper.

I am sure that there are lots of pages describing how to use it, but basically you need to find the windows driver files for your card, my ones for a belkin usb card are called rt2500.sys and rt2500.inf.

Once you have these two files (mine were in a Program Files/Belkin I think, you can use ndiswrapper to wrap the drivers in order to let you use your wireless card.

The syntax is something like ndiswrapper -i "path to the drivers .inf file", then ndiswrapper -l to list the drivers installed. After typing the first bit it might take a while to work, I thought I was doing something wrong for ages.... I should be more patient!

You might want to check the ndiswrapper syntax, try man ndiswrapper or just typing ndiswrapper in a shell, I am sure it will tell you exactly what to type...

There is a website somewhere that lists every card that is known to work with ndiswrapper, on there it might have some notes about your card.. try googling it.

Hope that helps!