PDA

View Full Version : No boot...just the penguin

mando327
03-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi, i am a newbie transfer from the pathetic windows xp. I am not an expert at all, but i put in the live cd (4.0.2) and it propmts me if i want to install it or run it live, which option is to hit enter and i do (i only want to do it live for now). As soon as that happens, it takes me to another black screen with a penguin at the top and stays there. No words, no letters, and nothing else. I don't know what to do. Knoppix 3.8 live runs fine but not this version. If you're replying, please remember that i'm a newbie transfer from windows and i don't know a whole lot. My pc is AMD Athl. 64 3400 KT8 Neo FSR motherboard with IDE & a SATA HD. The CD came with the book Hacking Knoppix, and i also tried my friend's version that he downloaded, but the same thing happened
Thanks!

Harry Kuhman
03-05-2006, 10:28 PM
but i put in the live cd (4.0.2) and it propmts me if i want to install it or run it live,....
The day that Knoppix does this at boot I will leave this forum and never look back.

You likely need to give one or more "cheat codes" at boot time. These are instructions to assist or bypass the hardware detection process. I've heard other reports of people needing this when they have SATA drives on 4.0.2 but I don't know what code you need. You could read the cheat code section in the wiki, search other forum posts for others that have had problems booting with SATA drives, or just hope that someone who knows the answer will respond to you.