PDA

View Full Version : NTFS file system safe to write over network?

aashtonk
05-08-2003, 04:03 AM
I was hoping to use Knoppix as a recovery for my data when a computer fails, then just transfere data over the network then redo the machine. I've tried to enable the Lisa Dameon so I can broswe the network, but I need the root password.

I've read all the post how there is not default password and how I should do is in the console using "sudo su". Granted I'm a Linux nebewbie but I can't quite figure out how to enable the dameon from the console. Any help would be appreciated in pointing me the right way.

Also I read somewhere that Linux might have a problem with the NTFS file table on my 2k & XP computers is that true?

:lol:

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Do most Knoppix users use this distrobution for file reconvery or what are the advantages of using this rather than another disro?

Stephen
05-08-2003, 07:23 AM
To set a root password in a console sudo passwd then enter the password you want. You will not be able to write to ntfs but you can read for recovery.

monkeyman
05-08-2003, 05:03 PM
If you are accessing NTFS drives over a network you can, of course, read and write files with no problem at all as the NT/2K/XP peer or server uses it's own OS to write the files. You cannot write directly to mounted NTFS partitions as you ahe read.