PDA

View Full Version : 4.0.2 can't shut off

Stamitz
03-06-2006, 04:54 PM
I use v. 4.0.2 on my laptop computers. All works fine (except wireless, but that's another topic). When I try to exit and shut off my computer, it doesn't work. The program logs off fine, but it stalls at the end and I have to press the button on my computer for seconds to shut off. It seems to me it stalls afer "send the term command" and "sending the kill command".

I have two modern laptops (Toshiba 3.0 ghz and HP centrino 1.7) and the problem occurs on both computers. v. 4.0.2. DOES shut off on my desktop pc.

Is this a known error with laptops and, more important, is there anything i can do ?

Stamitz

Stamitz
03-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Maybe I have found the solution: I use a USB stick for a permanent image. I have removed the USB stick before the final part of the shutting-off process. Now the laptop computer did shut off. Maybe the error was in the USB stick. Is this a common issue ?

|enouf|
03-06-2006, 07:16 PM
if you're not booting from usb stick (not sure what you mean by 'permanent image')

Before logging off try;
sudo umount /dev/sda
or sdb/c/d

If there's an issue - try Logging off, instead of shutting down....then use the same command
If successful, use shutdown now orinit 6 when you're down in a VT (Shell) only (text mode) - the result of Logging off

Perhaps you need to bootup using apm=off or similar cheatcode

It seems to me it stalls afer "send the term command" and "sending the kill command".

That's sending the Terminate and kill signals respectively and is likely having issue with unmounting the USB device before shutdown

While booted normally - post output of;
mount and cat /etc/fstab and fdisk -l