PDA

View Full Version : Very strange problem with DNS

knoppa
03-07-2006, 02:53 AM
Hello,

I am using Knoppix on a live CD, and after tracing the internet connection's problem to a DNS error, I tried to edit the /etc/resolv.conf file to fix it. However, several things went wrong

1) Under the terminal, it will not give me permission to edit this file, even as root or su
2) Whenever I try to access the /etc/ folder under KDE it gives me an error (can't remember right now, will tell if anyone feels it will be help solving the problem)
3) Whenever I hover over to the etc folder from the start menu, the computer just freezes.

Now, I did not use the MD5 to check the burned disc, do you think this problem is caused by a bad disc or is it a legitimate Knoppix problem?

Harry Kuhman
03-07-2006, 03:01 AM
While I've long been advocatingh the md5 check and if you had done it you now wouldn't be wondering, I very much doubt that everything else is working and that only this is failing if there was a checksum problem.

hooper_fc5
04-28-2006, 01:14 AM
Was my post removed before?

joeduck
05-03-2006, 11:14 AM
i think i have the same kind of problem. as i didnt could get windows to work with my new broadband connection i used the dns servers etc. i got from windows dchp and added the settings to insert(a knoppix dist) and it works fine but when i test the same settings with the same program (netcardconfig) to change the files in knoppix, the resolv.conf gets resetted to original. very annoying

i would rather use whoppix and knoppix from 3 to 3.6 then insert daily

joeduck
05-04-2006, 08:54 AM
nevermind, it was my cpu clock battery that was dead