PDA

View Full Version : News- Knoppix 5.0

nvgringo
03-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Knoppix 5.0 is going to be turned loose at CeBit. Then to the public 2 weeks to a month after that. I was able to purchace Knoppix 3.5 left over from CeBit for about $15 us.

Introducing KNOPPIX version 5.0

The KNOPPIX 5.0 Live DVD contains some major changes in the unionfs-based file system, new hardware detection and autoconfiguration, and a more "genuine Debian" oriented selection of packages. Apart from this, the harddisk install option ("knoppix-installer") has been extended by Martin Öhler, based on the work of Fabian Franz, featuring a "live update" of specific packages from a new version of the live DVD or CD.

The first release of Knoppix 5.0 is exclusively available as a free pressed DVD on CeBIT, at the KNOPPER.NET booth (University of applied sciences Zweibrücken, Hall 9, booth C39/31) and at the Heise booth (Hall 5, E38). The pressing of the CeBIT KNOPPIX DVDs has been sponsored, like in the past years, by the Heise publishing company.

You can find more information about "KNOPPIX @ CeBIT" at the Heise Newsticker (german text) .

What's new:

* Linux Kernel 2.6.15.4
* Debian (testing/unstable)
* Xorg Version 6.9
* udev+hwsetup for automatic hardware detection
* KDE 3.5.1, GNOME 2.12 from Debian/unstable
* OpenOffice 2.0.1 (german+english)
* transparent write access for NTFS partitions (libntfs+fuse)
* new knoppix-installer now also with the possibility to update existing installations of Knoppix
* Many Updates...

Roadmap: Earliest date 2 weeks after CeBIT, the CD edition of KNOPPIX 5.0 should be ready and will be available for download, together wih the DVD version, from the usual mirrors.

http://www.knopper.net/cebit/index-en.html

nvgringo
03-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Wow, Is this thing on? a shiny new version of Knoppix has been anounced and it's not news? you can buy a copy now for 6 euors plus shipping

quoosx
03-10-2006, 06:21 AM
No one having attended the CeBIT to comment on this?

Is there a torrent from anyone who got one of the DVDs at the CeBIT?

MethodOne
03-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Is the CeBIT disc in English? I can't wait to get this! I just hope it displays correctly on my laptop.

mulder170
03-10-2006, 04:06 PM
I found this torrent:

http://torrent.kurz.net/KNOPPIX_V5.0DVD-2006-02-25-DE.iso.torrent

sakiZ
03-10-2006, 06:27 PM
I assume a CD version will quickly follow. ???

sakiZ

quoosx
03-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Roadmap: Earliest date 2 weeks after CeBIT, the CD edition of KNOPPIX 5.0 should be ready and will be available for download, together wih the DVD version, from the usual mirrors.

(http://www.knopper.net/cebit/index-en.html)

nvgringo
03-11-2006, 01:13 AM
MethodOne,
The CeBit version will be in German. You will need to use cheat code knoppix lang=us on the German keyboard the = is ). If you are having display problems on your laptop you might try knoppix lang=us xmodule=fbdev.

Tom Tiger
03-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Moah.... I think that's pretty quick :-) And I don't mind waiting a bit for it.

Odd thing though, I've tried loads of distros (and I mean Loads!) and I allways end up with Debian in one form or another.

(http://www.knopper.net/cebit/index-en.html)

MethodOne
03-11-2006, 03:46 PM
I'll wait until the official release. I'm just having a resolution problem with 4.0.1. I know that xorg 6.9 in 5.0 supports 1680x1050 wth my Mobility Radeon X600 ("ati" drivers).

mkurz
03-12-2006, 09:10 AM
I found this torrent:

http://torrent.kurz.net/KNOPPIX_V5.0DVD-2006-02-25-DE.iso.torrent

Yes, that's my tracker and torrent. It should work quite well. If you have downloaded the image, please stay longer online, thanks :-) . There should be more seeders!

You can watch the status here: http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=1620

Martin

nvgringo
03-13-2006, 12:35 AM
I downloaded 5.0 from the torrent. Thank you mkurz. I made a version that boots into english by default. I am willing to share it but I do not know how to create a new torrent. If anyone wants to help let me know.

Harry Kuhman
03-13-2006, 12:55 AM
I downloaded 5.0 from the torrent. Thank you mkurz. I made a version that boots into english by default. I am willing to share it but I do not know how to create a new torrent. If anyone wants to help let me know.
Just a quick thought on this. Since BitTorrent improves with the more people that are using a torrent, it would be far better if everyone downloaded the one current torrent that defaults to German and then you could supply a very tiny extra file that made the change to the DE iso to turn it into a EN iso. One healthy large torrent is much better than 2 smaller torrents, and I would expect that the download to convert one to the other could be extremely small. This would actually be a much better way to distribute the official ISO(s) by torrent as well, the change to convert to EN could be packed with the original ISO as a tiny utility.

nvgringo
03-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Sure Harry,
Do you have such a utlity? If you do upload that and I will just seed the German version. The only thing I did was change the isolinux.cfg file. But most people do not have the MagicISO to edit files inside of the .iso file in order to swap the German isolinx.cfg with the English one.

Harry Kuhman
03-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Sure Harry,
Do you have such a utlity? If you do upload that and I will just seed the German version. The only thing I did was change the isolinux.cfg file. But most people do not have the MagicISO to edit files inside of the .iso file in order to swap the German isolinx.cfg with the English one.
I don't have such a utility handy, but there must be plenty out there. And not being free I sure don't recommend expecting people to use MagicISO. But since as long as the only change was a change to the default language and the rest of the ISO wasn't shifted around it should be only a change to 2 bytes or so in the ISO. A simple text listing posted here of the differences between your two ISOs might allow a lot of people to make the change with a simple hex editor. But this is a good thing to discuss and see if we can't get a well accepted solution before the official 5.0 torrents come out. When the mirrors were the primary way to distribute Knoppix it sort of made sense to have two versions, saved the extra step of converting the ISO for your language. But with BitTorrent being used heavily to distribute the ISP now it would make sense to download only one version of the ISO and include in it a tiny utility that patched the ISO to EN or even to other languages.

nvgringo
03-13-2006, 01:27 AM
Here is the revised isolinux.cfg The pound signs are important to make sure the file is the correct size.

DEFAULT linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
TIMEOUT 300
PROMPT 1
DISPLAY boot.msg
F1 boot.msg
F2 f2
F3 f3
LABEL knoppix
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL expert
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce BOOT_IMAGE=expert
LABEL memtest
KERNEL memtest
APPEND initrd=
LABEL knoppix-txt
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=normal initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL debug
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=normal initrd=minirt.gz debug BOOT_IMAGE=debug
LABEL fb1280x1024
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=794 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL fb1024x768
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL fb800x600
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=788 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL failsafe
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us vga=normal atapicd nosound noapic noacpi pnpbios=off acpi=off nofstab noscsi nodma noapm nousb nopcmcia nofirewire noagp nomce nodhcp xmodule=vesa initrd=minirt.gz BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
LABEL m23
KERNEL m23
APPEND devfs=nomount vga=normal load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=32000 initrd=m23rt.gz root=/dev/ram0 rw
LABEL userdef
KERNEL linux
APPEND ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ######################################

Harry Kuhman
03-13-2006, 01:36 AM
Here is the revised isolinux.cfg ...
I don't have Magic ISO either, can't use the cfg file.

nvgringo
03-13-2006, 01:57 AM
Here is a link to the torrent for the English version

http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=1645

Harry,
The idea for a language change utility is a good idea. Maybe you should post that in the ideas section and someone might work on that.

ruymbeke
03-13-2006, 02:28 AM
Here is the revised isolinux.cfg ...
I don't have Magic ISO either, can't use the cfg file.
If I remember this right, Winimage is a free Win tool (demo mode)
allowing you to edit a iso cd/dvd image assuming that the file(s)
to replace have exactly the same length.
I didn't try it, but it should work...
http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm
Best Regards,
Gilles

kevincad
03-14-2006, 01:38 AM
i was wondering where i could download the cd versiion of knoppix 5.0?thanks

robwelch100
03-14-2006, 02:47 AM
There is no CD version yet. If you read the post it is merely a torrent of the 5.0 DVD that is released at CEBIT. When the official 5.0 is out there will likely be a cd version. But untill then you will have to wait.

dummy
03-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Can somebody post an artwork of Knoppix 5.0 to www.imageshack.us or somewhere where I can reach it. I need larger version of http://www.heise.de/bilder/70319/0/0
I guess it's under desktop backgrounds or somewhere. Thank you.

etienne
03-15-2006, 02:12 AM
I/ve shared this same file on ed2k
KNOPPIX_V5.0DVD-2006-02-25-EN.iso (ed2k://|file|KNOPPIX_V5.0DVD-2006-02-25-EN.iso|4165189632|14566615F795F51224CC4E3F6B83C01C |h=XNL7M44ZL2YOV72PFLK2X2NK5D4Z3K2O|/)

Here is a link to the torrent for the English version

http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=1645

Harry,
The idea for a language change utility is a good idea. Maybe you should post that in the ideas section and someone might work on that.

pgluth1
03-15-2006, 09:37 PM
If you are inclined to usenet, have the ability to download the 4 gig file, and a reasonably fast connection, the whole DVD with par files is available at:

alt.binaries.cd.image

Works fine for me, I have it loaded in VMware now (for WinXP), but will burn it later today.

It took over 2 days to post, but with my connection, I could download it in under three hours. Plus, the par files are great for missing pieces.

If you don't know how to use usenet, there are many tutorials on the web - do not ask me how to do it, it would take another forum to explain. I have had far too many people ask questions like, "where's www.alt.binaries.cd.image.com?"

poor_mans_knoppix
03-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Hi out there!
I'm online with the brand new Knoppix 5.0 DVD - got a copy per MailOrder in Germany.

I'm running my Internet-machine with poor-man-installs using freedos and loadlin sometime since Knoppix 3.2.

I tried to get Knoppix working tohd and then from hd - but it comlains on bootup, that it can't find a knoppix-filesystem on any of my partitions. I wonder, if this comes along with the change, that on the DVD within the folder /boot, there are now two folders:
the /boot/isolinux as previously and a /boot/modules containing a cloop.ko and a unionfs.ko.

Is there a problem loding these filesystem-modules when trying to boot "fromhd"??
It even doesn't recognize the 4.0.2 - DVD - files on the same hd!

Looking forward to update my machine from 4.0.2 to 5.0!!

Have a nice day!

ruymbeke
03-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Hello,
For those of you who do not want to or cannot burn a cd/dvd,
I just have updated the minirt_usb5.gz file
for Knoppix 5.0 CEBIT edition: KNOPPIX_V5.0DVD-2006-02-25-DE.iso .
This minirt_usb5.gz file is required to boot knoppix from the iso file on the hdd, cf:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101293#101293 and Windows Partition PMI
Cheers, Gilles

eco2geek
03-17-2006, 08:43 AM
I just have updated the minirt_usb5.gz file
for Knoppix 5.0 CEBIT edition: KNOPPIX_V5.0DVD-2006-02-25-DE.iso .

Thank you, Mr. van Ruymbeke, your modified miniroot works quite well with a PMI using the cheatcodes "fromhd=/dev/hdb4 knoppix_dir=knoppix knoppix_name=KNOPPIX". What modifications to "linuxrc" did you make? (I'm impressed. I spent some hours trying to make it work and could not.)

Hopefully, by the time v5.0 final comes out, the included miniroot will allow a PMI to work properly again.

fqsxr
03-18-2006, 04:48 AM
What's the difference between the CD and DVD distribution?

eco2geek
03-18-2006, 07:23 AM
What's the difference between the CD and DVD distribution?

Oh, about 2,535,272 KB. (For version 4.0.2. There isn't a CD of 5.0 available yet.)

Knoppixster
03-18-2006, 06:41 PM
what date will knoppix 5 be available in cd format? I'm practically jumping on my chair here... lmao

BenGoodrich
03-19-2006, 04:52 AM
Just a quick thought on this. Since BitTorrent improves with the more people that are using a torrent, it would be far better if everyone downloaded the one current torrent that defaults to German and then you could supply a very tiny extra file that made the change to the DE iso to turn it into a EN iso. One healthy large torrent is much better than 2 smaller torrents, and I would expect that the download to convert one to the other could be extremely small. This would actually be a much better way to distribute the official ISO(s) by torrent as well, the change to convert to EN could be packed with the original ISO as a tiny utility.

I am not enough of an expert on these things, but it seems that Kano has proposed a solution along these lines; see http://kanotix.com/index.php?name=FAQ&id_cat=16#q288

Ben

Lidio Mozi
03-21-2006, 05:51 PM
I am waiting for Knoppix 5.0 CD and I shall need to remaster it.
Do anyone believe that the procedure at
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto
will work as well?

Thanks.
Lidio

MethodOne
03-22-2006, 03:50 AM
The CeBIT version with the English hack looks great so far, but I really want the following things:

-Kano's fix-res.sh script for changing resolution (I got 1680x1050 to work with 5.0 by editing xorg.conf. This script just saves me time.)
-xdelta patch for upgrading the hacked version to the official English release.
-xdelta patch for upgrading to later versions

jphv
03-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Somebody can put de MD5 Hash of KNOPPIX_V5.0DVD-2006-02-25-EN.iso for checking.

Thanks.

Juan Pablo Viglini

j.drake
03-25-2006, 04:25 AM
I just finished downloading nvgringo's English version, and have been poking around. Seems pretty complete, but as I'm looking through the menus, I'm not finding any type of bit torrent client (e.g., azureus, utorrent). Is there one built in?

jd

malaire
03-25-2006, 09:20 AM
Somebody can put de MD5 Hash of KNOPPIX_V5.0DVD-2006-02-25-EN.iso for checking.
Thanks.
Juan Pablo Viglini

Do you mean KNOPPIX_V5.0DVD-2006-02-25-DE.iso ? EN-version is not published yet.
This is md5sum for my copy, and it would be nice for someone to confirm this, before anyone uses this as the "right" md5sum.

e2d9778c9e6364ddb8ea2b454fd61518 KNOPPIX_V5.0DVD-2006-02-25-DE.iso

jphv
03-26-2006, 02:05 AM
Do you mean KNOPPIX_V5.0DVD-2006-02-25-DE.iso ?

Yes. :)

EN-version is not published yet.
This is md5sum for my copy, and it would be nice for someone to confirm this, before anyone uses this as the "right" md5sum.

e2d9778c9e6364ddb8ea2b454fd61518 KNOPPIX_V5.0DVD-2006-02-25-DE.iso

My hash is MD5(KNOPPIX_V5.0DVD-2006-02-25-DE.iso)= e2d9778c9e6364ddb8ea2b454fd61518

The same! , I think my download is OK

Thanks!!

Juan Pablo Viglini

Capt. Cautious
03-27-2006, 07:32 PM
"Here is the revised isolinux.cfg The pound signs are important to make sure the file is the correct size. "
Good Day Harry,
I hope I'm not treading H2O here but would it work to use the unionfs to redo the isolinux.cfg file then save it as part of the save config to a FD that holds you linux settings?
Really don't know, just a thought...

I Remain ~ In Service & In Health,
Captain Cautious

UnderScore
03-27-2006, 07:57 PM
"Here is the revised isolinux.cfg The pound signs are important to make sure the file is the correct size. "
Good Day Harry,
I hope I'm not treading H2O here but would it work to use the unionfs to redo the isolinux.cfg file then save it as part of the save config to a FD that holds you linux settings?
Really don't know, just a thought...

I Remain ~ In Service & In Health,
Captain Cautious
2006.03.27 This is a good idea and it show you are certainly thinking about how to solve the problem. But as far as I can see it will not not work. ISOLINUX/SYSLINUX is a bootloader that is loaded up so that it could then load the linux kernel. ISOLINUX/SYSLINUX exists outside the cloop compressesed KNOPPIX & KNOPPIX2 files and exists in the standard ISO9660 filesystem. The saveconfig-process & load-a-config-from-a-floppy-process occurs after the linux kernel has loaded.

So the isolinux.cfg is far-apart from the load-a-config process and I do not see how they could be combined without some serious hackery.
I hope this helps.
James

tomiro
03-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Is the CeBIT disc in English? I can't wait to get this! I just hope it displays correctly on my laptop.
You can either download the torrent or get it on a DVD at On-Disk.com.

It took over 2 days to get the english torrent down. Hopefully it's seeded better now?

aay
03-31-2006, 11:21 PM
Greetings all you Knoppheads from a fellow who hasn't posted on the forums in quite a while. Two questions. The 5.0 release is advertised with"* transparent write access for NTFS partitions (libntfs+fuse). " How transparent is this? Do I need to do anything more than mount the partition? Has anyone tested the write results. I've got a friend coming over tonight with a Windows machine who needs his partitions resized. Assuming I can get the dvd downloaded in time and assuming he has a dvd drive, can I mount the drive and then resize it with QTparted?

On a related note, are there any cd's available yet? I'm not sure that I'll be able to get this thing downloaded in time or that he'll even have a dvd drive.

Any quick replies are much welcome.

Take care,

Adam York

ckamin
03-31-2006, 11:51 PM
I would not recommend resizing partitions on a windows box if you value anything that is on them. It is a far better idea to use partition magic than to use an untried method. It would also depend on whether the partitions are NTFS or other.

aay
04-01-2006, 03:46 PM
I would not recommend resizing partitions on a windows box if you value anything that is on them. It is a far better idea to use partition magic than to use an untried method. It would also depend on whether the partitions are NTFS or other.

Ckamin,

I guess my real question is whether Knoppix's new mode of writing to NTFS is more reliable. Previously I would have certainly agreed with you, but this new feature advertisement that knoppix now has "transparent write access for NTFS partitions (libntfs+fuse)" seems to imply that writing to NTFS is now safe or at least safer than before. Anyone have any further feedback on the reliability of this new NTFS writing method?

Adam

ckamin
04-01-2006, 05:32 PM
"Safer", not "Safe". Still would not risk it unless you are willing to lose the data and do a complete re-install. I would at least make a drive image before trying anything. There is a slight difference between resizing partitions with NTFS and just writing data to the drive. If you try it and it works, then Great! If it doesn't work, then so be it, you knew the risks. Just my two cents worth.

Aleu
04-05-2006, 08:49 PM
How much longer do we need to wait for the official release of Knoppix 5.0 on a CD? Just wondering...

CraigG4C
04-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Re write access to NTFS --

I haven't used the new Knoppix at all BUT when I had to recover a registry hive on a suddenly non-booting WinXP machine, I used a Knoppix CD and captive-ntfs (see http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/ ).

Captive -- which downloads and installs from Knoppix very straightforwardly -- uses a different approach from other FS modules; it actually loads ntoskrnl.exe and ntfs.sys from the Win2k or WinXP installation into a Wine-like environment and translates kernel fs calls into calls into the Microsoft modules. Because it requires the Microsoft code, it's not usually included in any distro, including Knoppix. But it reads, writes, and creates/deletes files and directories jes' fine.

Bad news: it's somewhat slower than the other NTFS support methods -- not surprisingly -- so if your principal interest is in reading the disks, use something else.

When will the new Knoppix CD come out? [this is a recording ...ing ...ing ...]

torp
04-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Well we've had plenty of questions concerning WHEN 5.0 will be released on cd. My question is different, I would like to know why the delay in releasing 5.0. Reminds one of microsoft's BS in releasing win95 years ago...... Come on knoppix, you can do better than this!

torp

Harry Kuhman
04-11-2006, 12:36 AM
...I would like to know why the delay in releasing 5.0. Reminds one of microsoft......
You sound quite demanding for a great distro given to you for free. I rather suspect that Klaus has his reason and I'll respect that and wait without bitching. There certainly have been a lot of complaints about the 5.0 version, it just might be that Klaus is fixing and testing before hundreds of thousands of people download the official ISO and burn it to DVDs.

Klaus may also feel that the unofficial release of the questionable 5.0 TAG version has lessened the perssure on him to post an official release quickly. Why release what is know to be buggy and people already have? He might as well take the time to make fixes, do testing and release something with far less problems.

ckamin
04-11-2006, 04:01 AM
I'd rather have fewer bugs and a better release version, than to just have something that was slapped together in haste to meet a deadline. Main reason we are here rather than salivating over the next buggy release from Micro$oft. Give the man some time and don't complain if it's not costing you anything. I know I couldn't do it, so I'm glad someone is willing to spend the time to do it right and let some of these rude comments roll off his back too. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. If not, there is the next version.

torp
04-11-2006, 04:08 PM
You sound quite demanding for a great distro given to you for free.

You read me all wrong Harry, my man. I am incredibly grateful for the tremendous work that has been done on this awesome piece of software. It's just that I hate the way microsoft does business, and to see the lack of communication from the great man himself is distressing in its likeness to that other os. Believe it or not I am quite happy with 4.02, so the 5.0 release will just be icing on the cake as far as I am concerned.
By the way, you could maybe relax a little or take a chill pill. I know being the ultimate guru with all the answers is stressfull, but relax, take a cruise, have a sherbert or whatever you prefer.

torp

Tom Tiger
04-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Same here, I don't mind waiting, simply because each release is better than the next. Klaus Knopper is doing some great work in building Knoppix and actually inspired me in building my own iso's. 4.02 is an excellent distro, it does what I want and I'm pretty sure that 5 will be just as good or pherhaps even better. Like allready said, I'm also looking forward to the NTFS stuff in there.

Personally,.... it will be done when it is done :-) Keep up the good work, Heck I'm loving it.

I'd rather have fewer bugs and a better release version, than to just have something that was slapped together in haste to meet a deadline. Main reason we are here rather than salivating over the next buggy release from Micro$oft. Give the man some time and don't complain if it's not costing you anything. I know I couldn't do it, so I'm glad someone is willing to spend the time to do it right and let some of these rude comments roll off his back too. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. If not, there is the next version.

torp
04-21-2006, 08:14 PM
just got my 5.0 dvd in and booted it........WOW! so far works like a charm and had detected everything including the web cam. looks like a work of art from this early test run. it did boot kind of slow, but who cares? the reward after booting is so good!

torp

Prometeus
04-23-2006, 07:32 AM
http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/kanotix/preview/KANOTIX-2006-CeBIT-RC3.iso

+

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/brproject/PATCH.PROMETEUS-ML.XDELTA?download

xdelta patch PATCH.PROMETEUS-ML.XDELTA KANOTIX-2006-CeBIT-RC3.iso

=
http://www.kde-look.org/content/pre1/36936-1.jpg

1ijack
04-26-2006, 05:46 AM
is that the default kicker in knoppix 5? can i download it and use it on my knoppix 4.0.2?

tr
05-01-2006, 03:17 PM
xdelta patch PATCH.PROMETEUS-ML.XDELTA KANOTIX-2006-CeBIT-RC3.iso

Thank you Prometeus! I applied that patch and installed the CD to my hard disk. Super Karamba looks very cute!

-tapsa-

adb
05-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Actually there will be a Knoppix 5.0.1 DVD (and CD set) coming out Whenever It Is Ready (tm). This will be an updated Knoppix 5.0 and I would in fact recommend waiting for this release, since a number of small bugs should be fixed. Knoppix 5.0 is great already but 5.0.1 should be nearly perfect.

mwgrenier
05-23-2006, 07:22 PM
Perhaps Klaus should create a Knoppix support group where members join by paying $30/year and the members get the benefit of getting the new release two weeks earlier than everyone else. Klaus gets the benefit of getting some payment for his hard work.

Harry Kuhman
05-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Klaus does make a profit from the special releases he commisions like The Linux TAG release. With so many supposedly devoted Knoppix fans eager to make unofficial releases of versions like this that Klaus has not chosen to distribute to the Internet yet, I don't see that there would be much point in selling limited access to an Internet download; as it would only server to promote a lot of unofficial torrents, news group postings and other distribution in the days before an official release. Better to have the official torrent go up (and the mirrors for those who can't use BitTorrent because of a firewall they don't control or are unwilling to learn how to use BitTorrent) than to have lots of unorganized activity just before an official release.

nvgringo
05-24-2006, 04:02 AM
So Harry,
You are saying that because I posted a torrent of 5.0 that boots in English Klaus decided to wait to release 5.01. as like a punishment. Have you been in contact with Klaus? Did he indicate to you that he was offended? Or is this just your opinion of why the latest version has not been released yet. It was my understanding that the money that I spent for the pressed dvd was just to cover the cost of publishing.

Harry Kuhman
05-24-2006, 04:42 AM
So Harry,
You are saying that because I posted a torrent of 5.0 that boots in English Klaus decided to wait to release 5.01. as like a punishment. Have you been in contact with Klaus? Did he indicate to you that he was offended? Or is this just your opinion of why the latest version has not been released yet. It was my understanding that the money that I spent for the pressed dvd was just to cover the cost of publishing.
I have not been in contact with Klaus, I do not speak for him or for this site, I speak only my own opnion.

I don't know if Klaus is offended. But I certainly know that if he wanted the 5.0.0 release available on the Internet that he could have posted the ISO to the official mirrors and the BitTorrent tracker himself. I take it that he chose not to and to have us wait "until it's ready" as an indication that he does doesn't think it should be posted.

I did not say what you claim that I have said. But now that you have said it, yes, it certainly could be an accurate reflection of what has happened. Could the many unofficial posts have caused Klaus to wait for the 5.0.1 release? Maybe, and it sure doesn't seem like they have had a positive effect in speeding up the release.

What I was saying is that since people will clearly post whatever they get their hands on, the idea of delaying the official Internet release yet more weeks after it "is ready" for those who don't subscribe seems foolish and something Klaus isn't likely to do.

Tom Tiger
05-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Neh... like Harry said, that doesn't fit Klaus. If he decides to go straight for the 5.01 version, then he
probably has good reason for it. I only met Klaus once, on the HCC Computer days in Holland and he is
a great guy.

And I don't mind waiting, it is only going to get better. I got back into Linux (after an absence of 6 years)
thanks to Knoppix 3.1 which I still find to be an excellent release (still use it on some older laptops ) :wink:
And since the company I work for is using more and more Linux ..... I only have one windoze station left...
and that is purely for my filmscanner (Sane doesn't support it yet). Thanks to Klaus and Knoppix I even
started to build my own Debian Distro so I could learn.

Lets just wait and see.... haste make waste 8)

knopnet
05-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Or could it be that 5.0.1 is not enough better than 5.0 to justify a release?

Harry Kuhman
05-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Or could it be that 5.0.1 is not enough better than 5.0 to justify a release?
That hardly can be the case, since there is no Internet 5.0 release. Klaus knows that people are waiting for a version 5 release, and would have posted 5.0 if he thought it was suitable. He has announced that there will be an Internet release and it will be called 5.0.1, but it will be released "when it is ready".

mwgrenier
05-25-2006, 05:57 PM
I'm just searching for ways to speed up the process of getting releases out. Clearly, Klaus and any others supporting Knoppix can put more time into it if they are getting paid for it. While paying would get a release to you earlier than those who do not pay, I doubt it would hold delay releases to non-payers because without a plan like this, they don't get the release anyway since it takes longer to get the work done with unpaid labor.

adb
05-27-2006, 06:47 AM
...since it takes longer to get the work done with unpaid labor.
Like the Linux kernel ? The gcc compiler ? The Arch Linux distribution ?

Anyways, I am certain that Klaus Knopper has thought about these issues, and whatever he has decided to do is OK for him, and as far as I am concerned, it's OK for me too.

I do use Debian (Testing) on some machines, Mandriva Linux on others, Knoppix on my personal workstation, and Arch Linux on some notebooks. So I am not really in a hurry to see 5.0.1 being released, I'd rather wait until Klaus feels it's ready, and I am most grateful to Klaus for his concern for quality.

I guess we all agree that a higher quality Linux distribution is worth the wait, don't we ?

Prometeus
05-27-2006, 11:38 PM
---------- Message original ----------

Subject: Re: When is 5.0.1 due (Microsoft time)
Date: Saturday 20 Mai 2006 00:28
To: Stephen Samuel

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 12:27:56PM -0700, Stephen Samuel wrote:
> In this case, I realize that 'real' work is getting in the way of
> putting together 5.0.1, so I guess the question would be:
>
> When would 5.0.1 be out, on the presumption that you guys don't get any
> other work to do?
>
> I think that that would *clearly* not be a realistic timetable (given
> the false presumption), but it at least gives a probable lower bound.

2nd of June, 0:00am CEST.

Regards
-Klaus Knopper

knopnet
05-28-2006, 12:21 AM
If you want to hurry 5.0.1 along, send a friendly message to Klaus at:

http://knopper.net/pay/?lang=en&type=donation

cless-mint
06-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Wasn't the (Maybe) release date today? He should have it up soon. If it's ready of course.

adb
06-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Wasn't the (Maybe) release date today? He should have it up soon. If it's ready of course.

It is ready and the release date is today: June 2, 2006.

patelbhavesh
06-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Here is the edonkey link to 5.0.1 English version if you want to download via edonkey p2p network
ed2k://|file|KNOPPIX_V5.0.1DVD-2006-06-01-EN.iso|4344862720|C977EA767798A5E15C6697F8AFE692E3 |h=PSEEWBTOZM4OJPO7W5GZ2SKDRVXZWJ4B|/

ruymbeke
06-02-2006, 05:42 PM
If you want to hurry 5.0.1 along, send a friendly message to Klaus at:
http://knopper.net/pay/?lang=en&type=donation
==> I made a donation to thanks Klaus Knopper for his great work ! <==

And I hope that you will do the same...

BTW, the KNOPPIX_V5.0.1DVD-2006-06-01-EN.iso is available via BitTorrent: http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/
and the new release has just been announced on http://distrowatch.com/
Best Regards,
Gilles

bokaroseani
06-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Knoppix 5.0: Looks great but I wont be able to use it. I dont have a dvd drive. Will there be a CD version of Knoppix 5.0?

RandomGoon
06-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Yes, eventually. Just bide your time a bit more and it'll be out. I too am eagerly awaiting the CD version (I like to have both on hand) while I leave Bit Tornado downloading the DVD.

'Goon

ruymbeke
06-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Knoppix 5.0: Looks great but I wont be able to use it. I dont have a dvd drive. Will there be a CD version of Knoppix 5.0?
Yes, as far as I know, the CD version should be released soon.
In the mean time, if you try my new 5.01 minirt_usb6.gz boot ramdisk,
you should be able to boot Knoppix 5.01 from the DVD ISO image being located on the hdd
(No DVD-Rom required) cf: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796
Best Regards,
Gilles

Cromlech
06-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Downloading 5.0.1 -EN- DVD version (4,05 Gb) stopped when 98%
with message no space left...
still got 60 Gb of free space,
is it because file is bigger than 4Gb on fat32 file system ?
has someone completed the 4,05 Gb download ?
Thanks for any clue and advice...
Cromlech

Harry Kuhman
06-04-2006, 09:52 AM
is it because file is bigger than 4Gb on fat32 file system ?
Seems pretty likely. That has already been discussed in this newsgroup.

mikekgr
06-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Dear friends,
the new Knoppix 5.0.1 DVD is amazing but I have a big (for me) problem, I can not running the ndiswrapper.
Let explain to you in more details:
I have PCMCIA Linksys WPC54GS wireless card. I did install the windows driver using the command ndiswrapper -i /path/ lsbcmnds.inf and this is/was successfull

then I did the command ndiswrapper -m all ok till know.
Now it is the time to load the kernal module so I did the command modprobe ndiswrapper BUT THE LOADING OF THE MODULE GIVE ERROR (I have not it ) so the module did not loading and it is not possible to work with my wireless card.

The questuion is, if you have wireless card that needs ndiswrapper please try it and reverted to me if the result was successefull or not...

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis

drewmoney
06-04-2006, 09:53 PM
I have the same problem with the CD version. I run wireless with ndiswrapper on Slackware with no troubles. I google search and a different linux forum leads me to believe it is bad ndiswrapper on Knoppix. Not impressed...........

GaTk
06-18-2006, 02:22 PM
ndiswrapper in knoppix 5.0 .1 is busted.....................and obviously was never tested

Tom Tiger
06-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Mmm... I like the new Knoppix but I have to nitpick, I do, I must..... LinNeighborhood is gone.... and Ndiswrapper
seems to have developed a problem. Rest works fine, I'll adjust my sources list a little and see what I can apt-get into it
But I like to see LinNeighborhood back into Knoppix, Knetattach is nice but for running stuff directly from a samba server
it ain't so good as Lin (I'm lazy I just like to mount a drive by clicking around....)