PDA

View Full Version : 2 Problems (sound and wireless network)

Chatboy 91
03-08-2006, 04:30 AM
Both my sound and wireless card are dead in the latest version of Knoppix. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's most likely due to missing drivers but i have no way of replacing them. If i open up the info on my sound card it says there is no sound card detected, yet when i'm booting up it says it detects my sound card. Now on to the wireless card. to be exact i'm running a Linksys WMP11 wireless card. I downloaded the drivers but Knoppix wouldn't open them. Also i think it's nescessary to say that i'm new to Linux and don't now much about it. Thank-you for your time and help.

nad
03-08-2006, 05:04 AM
If you are running from the liveCD, do yourself a favor and download a copy of ubuntu or mandriva. The live versions of these GNU/Linux distributions are built much more often than knoppix and will be more likely to have support for your hardware.

Knoppix is a snapshot in time. It is meant to be both a demonstration and utility distribution. It is carefully pieced together from new and older software with the latest drivers at the time of release. It is also not meant to be updated or upgraded.

I do not wish to discourage your use, but, also do not wish to see you discouraged from using linux. If one distribution doesn't work, try another. At some point you will install to your computer and begin to learn that sometimes there is a lag between a hardware release and drivers becoming available as many manufacturers do not release drivers for linux nor assist in their hardware support. The quantity and quality of the available software, however, is superb and as you become aquainted with your new desktop you will realise that it is not so different after all.

Chatboy 91
03-08-2006, 05:27 AM
very well i think i will take your advice however i have one more question. Is it possible to replace GNOME with KDE?
EDIT: Never mind after trawling through some data i found a special version of Ubuntu called Kubuntu

rusty
03-08-2006, 06:20 AM
Here's a couple to check out:
http://www.kubuntu.org/
http://kanotix.com/index.php?&newlang=eng