PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Evo D510 EPC

fingers99
03-11-2006, 12:58 AM
this Compaq is a small form factor box, Celeron 1.7, 20Gig HD, CD ROM, 128Mb of ram.

It runs XP fine, but I don't want XP on it.

I try to boot from CD and it starts, but halts on "Loading grub, please wait.............."

The CD drive works, at least in so far as in XP it'll open the CD up..........

I've tried with two versions of Kanotix (one of which installed fine on my lower spec desktop).

I suspect the CD drive is at fault, but does anyone have any other ideas or experience? Anyone know of a
(cheap) source for replacement drives for these (they're laptop type, H-L DataStorage, part number CRN-8243B) in the UK?

ckamin
03-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Hi!

There may be a few issues at work here. Have you tried anything like enabling DMA using a cheatcode? There have been many issues caused by the drives requiring DMA to function properly. I have a similar issue with another model Hitachi-LG drive in a notebook. Enabling DMA has resolved it.

If I am correct, it is a small form factor PC using a slim cd/dvd drive. I don't know of any suppliers for these drives in the UK, but have seen some exact replacements on eBay from time to time. I believe that Newegg.com has replacements that would work in place of what you have. Another model of Hitachi-LG/Goldstar would probably work well and might accept all of the trim/mounting attachments without modification. If it is a standard slim format drive, almost any manufacturer's drive might work.

Good luck and hope you resolve your issue.

fingers99
03-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Have you tried anything like enabling DMA using a cheatcode?[quote]

I'd try, but it just halts at grub: no boot prompt, so no opportunity to input a cheat code.

I found a couple of drives on ebay which look like they'll fit OK...........

Oddest thing is HP say these are certified to work with SuSE, RedHat, Mandy, etc.