PDA

View Full Version : Help - Error after Knoppix 4.0 install (dual boot)

doowopdj
03-12-2006, 10:18 PM
I have had so much trouble installing Linux on my laptop, I am praising Microsoft.... LOL

OK the error

Kernal panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (3,3)

How do I get past this error?
I have dual boot with XP on one partitition (which was the original OS)
Laptop Toshiba Satellite L25 - S1192 model psl2xu-00q00p

NOTE: Windows partition boots and works OK

I hope I can get this installed soon, I have a class project to do a small webpage on a webserver.

-thanks
-doowopdj

Harry Kuhman
03-12-2006, 10:31 PM
I have had so much trouble installing Linux on my laptop, ....I hope I can get this installed soon, I have a class project to do ...
You can keep fighting with a distro that was never intended for hard disk install or you can do this. (http://www.debian.org/) Can you give any reason why that suggestion isn't a better choice? You had not even tried it, had you? See also my answer #2 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

doowopdj
03-13-2006, 01:16 AM
Well ... I either have to figure out how to get the debian install to install over the knoppix install or fix the error.
I regret ever trying to install linux, but it was for class.
Why instructor ever allowed me to attempt this install is beyond me, but i think it was his first time teaching the class (only 3 of us in the class).
My project for the class is to get a simple webpage using open office database, but since i cannot get past the install and the project is due thursday I have given up unless the instructor can give me some help before then
Thanks for your advice
So my Question is why is KNOPPIX allowed to offer an installer that will NOT work?

-thanks
-doowopdj

Harry Kuhman
03-13-2006, 01:34 AM
Well ... I either have to figure out how to get the debian install to install over the knoppix install or fix the error.
1 delete Knoppix partition.
2 Tell Debian Installer to use the free space (not to use the entire disk).

I regret ever trying to install linux, but it was for class.Install Linux is good. Installing Knoppix is bad.

Why instructor ever allowed me to attempt this install is beyond me, but i think it was his first time teaching the class (only 3 of us in the class).
I'm not clear on who's system this is or if the word "allowed" makes sense in this case, but unless the instructor is telling people to install the not intended for hard disk Knoppix version of Linux then I don't see any reason to fault the instructor.

My project for the class is to get a simple webpage using open office database, but since i cannot get past the install and the project is due thursday I have given up unless the instructor can give me some help before then
Thanks for your advice
So my Question is why is KNOPPIX allowed to offer an installer that will NOT work?
I still believe that you can do what you want with Debian, and maybe even by Thursday depending on your level of experience with database stuff.

I personally wish that Knoppix did not include any install scripts. But some well experienced people can make it work, but there are a lot of problems with it and it is something we try hard to discourage new users from doing. But the fault is certainly shared by any user who ignores thse warning and installs Knoppix without ever even trying to install Debian, or who doesn't even do enough reading to see all of the warnigs before trying to install Knoppix. Other Live CDs that do not mix vesrions like Knoppix does may be better choices for installing if you insist on installing from a live CD, and they likely have better install programs (Knoppix install scripts seem to not have been able to get simple things like networking operational for over three years now, there are plenty of posts going back farther than that about systems where the network worked from the CD but not after the hard disk install.) There is rumor that Knoppix 5 might address the mixed version problems that have broken a hard disk install up to now. If so and if the scripts finally get thing right so that things that work from CD continue to work after installing on hard disk I'll drop most of my opposition to this. But there is still little reason to install Knoppix when you can install Debian and all of the packages that you want, the one that are included with Knoppix and the ones that are not, and not install all of the extra packages that you do not want and will never use.

doowopdj
03-13-2006, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.... I am repair mode... following your instructions now.
-later
-doowopdj

doowopdj
03-13-2006, 01:57 AM
Wow.... Crying now.. I just cannot figure how to find the ISO image I need to download.
I need to change my nick to An-Idiot. I am guessing they make a book linux for dummies

-later
-doowopdj

I am a GUI guy so that is why I liked Knoppix, the instructor gave me the CD to use. Knoppix software just seemed more GUI friendly, but instructor did not warn me about it is not a user friendly version to install. Believe me he is going to get a word or two from me, I could care less if I fail, cause he is wasting me time making me attempt stuff that is WAY over my head.

Harry Kuhman
03-13-2006, 03:22 AM
Wow.... Crying now.. I just cannot figure how to find the ISO image I need to download.
I would suggest getting the ISO of just CD 1 for the stable version by Bittorrrent from here (http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r1/i386/bt-cd/). I doubt if you will need anything not on CD 1 but if you do you can more quickly get it later by apt-get rather than by downloading additional CDs. However there are plenty of ways to download, or even install from directly over the Internet. If you don't know how to use BitTorrent and properly configure it see the Knoppix downloading faq.

doowopdj
03-16-2006, 03:15 AM
Thanks again for attempting to assist.
BUT
1. The link http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r1/i386/bt-cd/ has 20 different links. NONE of them are clear as to which one I need to use.
2. The links appear to be Torrent links. I have not learned how to use torrents in my learning curve.

I think I am going to stick to my original goal of making Knoppix the dual boot option with my Windows computer. It may never happen and will be cursing this decision but I suspect I will find someone in the Linux world that has the experience to help me through the various issues that I encountered.

My Linux experience has not been a pleasant one. Although I am confident ONCE it is up and running (which includes getting the peripherals to be functional, network working and apps installed I will have very few issues on technical issues. That is granted I do not give up my laptop)

Too bad Knoppix (and the Linux community) is not trying to ensure that the Linux installers are more user friendly. It is a critical gateway to encouraging more people to adapt Linux. But unfortunately I come across to the Linux community as against Linux (hopefully understandably so) so help has not been easy to find.
Thanks for at least trying, that is a good sign.

-later
-doowopdj

nad
03-16-2006, 03:23 AM
http://www.ubuntu.com/