PDA

View Full Version : Kanotix root partition creation

dvryknopper
03-13-2006, 08:08 PM
I am currently attempting to install kanotix onto my hard drive I have created a windows partition and a partition I intend to use to install kanotix onto and a linux swap partition. When I use the kanotix installer, it informs me that it cannot continue with the installation because I do not have a root partition. As a relative noob, I am unclear about how I would make a root partition, any information on how to do this with cfdisk or any other utility would be greatly appreciated.

nad
03-14-2006, 12:52 AM
I've never installed Kanotix, but, if it follows a standard debian install, at the partitioning menu you have to choose the partition you wish to use and another screen will appear with your usage options. When you press enter with a highlighted line that configuration option will toggle. Use the up and down arrows to choose the line.

You should be given the option of using or not using any partition, a choice of mount points (in your case / ) and whether to format and type of filesystem.

dvryknopper
03-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Well I managed to get my problem fixed. I used qtparted to partition and format my harddrive in preparation for the installation of kanotix. Apparantly qtparted malformatted my drive because when I went to #kanotix on irc to ask about the problem, I was informed after showing the output of scanpartition[i] and [i]fdisk -l that qtparted was not the best choice for repartitioning my drive and that I should delete all partitions done by qtparted and redo them with cfdisk. After doing so and rebooting, which is important, the kanotix installer was able to recognize the partitions and I was able to select one as the root partition. I was perplexed when the installer wouldn't display any partitions for me to select as my root partition as Nad suggested was standard for Debian based distro installations. From now on when I think of qtparted I will think of this: :twisted: and whenever I think of cfdisk I will think of this :o
Also thankyou to the ppl of #kanotix for all the help in case any of them are also members of this forum....