PDA

View Full Version : Install from CD to HDD?

Basebal2113
03-15-2006, 02:56 AM
This may be a really simple question or I am just not looking in the right place. Or this may not even be possible. Any...

I can boot Knoppix from my CD Drive and it runs fine. However, I would like to transfer it to the hard drive so that I can boot it without the CD and have it therefore be my primary OS. Is this possible? Thank you and I am sorry if this is a dumb question. Any help is appreciated.

Harry Kuhman
03-15-2006, 03:12 AM
See answer #2 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

UnderScore
03-15-2006, 05:29 AM
See also http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796

irlandes
03-28-2006, 05:34 AM
It certainly is possible to install Knoppix to the HD.

However, the install utility is not very good. For newbies to Linux, the task is formidable.

Frankly, Kanotix is much better at that install, and on the Kanotix message board, Kano himself answers questions.

So, why put up with an inferior install and negative support attitude, when on the same size CD, you can have a really good product?

Also, there are some really good distros:

Debian itself

Mandrake

CentOs (knockoff of R****t)

So, there are really only a couple reasons to dink with Knoppix.

1. Just because it is there, and is a real challenge. (Do go to a linux forum, since most of your questions will usually be linux, not Knoppix, and they are much nicer there.)

2. Because you for several reasons may not be able to get the Kanotix iso.

Otherwise, forget about Knoppix on the HD. IMO.

There are people out there who use the Live CD for all family computer uses. I read one such story last year. It is possible to save configuration information without installing the CD. This particular family set up Knoppix accounts for each family member. That person logs on, does all his/her work including Internet and word processor and web mail, then logs off, and there is absolutely no HD storage of anything they did. Thus, no attacks; no security; etc.

dvryknopper
03-28-2006, 05:56 AM
if you use Kanotix, just be sure to not use QTParted to set up your partition(s) it malformatted my drive use cfdisk :)