PDA

View Full Version : User Permissions for Your USB Camera

sakiZ
03-18-2006, 02:05 AM
I've seen this asked so many times and seen so many wrong answers in many different forums, I thought I'd share this little fstab entry. This will let you access the files in your USB-camera without having to go to root.

Assuming your camera device is seen as /sda1 and you have named your mount point as "Camera", then this is the line you want in your fstab:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/Camera auto rw,users 0 0

Modify the line as needed. That's it.

Enjoy.

sakiZ

linuxchica
08-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Dude, that's just the beginning. I got this sweet book 'Linux Multimedia Hacks'. I have a boot loader on my desktop and I boot XP (which I hate religiously) for my pix and tunes. No more! That O'Reilly book finally gave me all I need to never EVER use Win***s again. I don't need it for anything!

Maybe as a virtual machine.

Maybe.

sakiZ
08-21-2006, 02:41 AM
Here is another camera tip for those who already have set up a line in fstab for their camera as a mass-storage device.

Purchase a SanDisk ImageMate 5-in-1 card reader. It's $20.00 bucks. It will act as a drive for your camera's memory card.

You plug it's cable into your USB port. Insert your memory card. You can move photos off of it with no permissions issues in user mode. Just that simple.

It requires no drivers.

Just plug it in and go. I bought one to use with my new Kodak Z612 which uses SD memory cards.

Note: does not work with Smartmedia.

SakiZ