PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix boot CD freezes just after Konqueror loads?

b1_
03-18-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm trying to find out why my ADSL2+ connection is so slow in WinXP. Someone suggested I load the Knoppix boot CD and use it to run some test just to isolate if it is WinXP slowing my connection. Unfortunatley my Knoppix boot CD freezes just as Konqueror appears on the screen after boot up.

I have 384MB RAM - I thought that would be enough for the graphics load - they say you need 90MB? I also have 6GB left on my C: drive, and 2GB left on my secondary HDD

Can anyone suggest a way for me to get into Knoppix just to run Konqueror so I can run this simple test.

nad
03-18-2006, 01:39 PM
A little more information would be helpful. What version of knoppix are you using and the computer make, model and hardware configuration.

Have you tied booting to text mode (knoppix 2 at the boot prompt)?

b1_
03-18-2006, 01:51 PM
A little more information would be helpful. What version of knoppix are you using and the computer make, model and hardware configuration.

Have you tied booting to text mode (knoppix 2 at the boot prompt)?

WinXP SP1
AMD Athlon 1.33
384RAM
EPOX mobo EP 8KTA3L
Soundblaster value soundcard
2 HDD 1 20GB, 1 120GB Westerrn Digital
Geforce 2 Gigabyte GA-GF200 graphics card
Knoppix 4.0.2

I tried booting to text mode and it worked fine, but know nothing about knoppix text commands - how could I do an internet d/l speed test from text mode?

nad
03-18-2006, 02:38 PM
I haven't checked, but, your issue may be lack of support or automagic detection for that graphics card or monitor. Try some of the boot cheatcodes to see if you can get a gui to run. You could also attempt to manually edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to choose a generic (or the correct) graphics driver and/or a supported screen resolution. Then restarting (or starting from runlevel 2) kdm .

As far as running a speed test via the net, you have a text browser available in text mode, lynx (man lynx).

Have fun!

b1_
03-18-2006, 03:53 PM
I have successfully run my test using the text browser.

Thx for your help nad.