PDA

View Full Version : knoppix boot issues

echromes
03-20-2006, 03:49 AM
I am haveing some trouble with this string when I'm booting knoppix at the isolinux prompt(boot:). I put in at the boot: knoppix home=/mnt/sda1/knoppix.img and half way through the boot up it asks "knoppix has found an image file......etc......" and you have some options to pick HOME SYSTEM INIT... etc.. I don't want to see this and just go into knoppix with my config and home settings. Another thing: I want to add a startup script to isolinux so I don't have to type out this line but not sure what file to add it to:

knoppix myconf=/dev/sda1 home=/mnt/sda1/knoppix.img dma noeject splash noprompt

Much thanks for any help !

srbanator
03-25-2006, 10:42 AM
home=/dev/sda1/knoppix.img

i think you have to use DEV instead of MNT

echromes
03-29-2006, 12:05 AM
I tried both and still comming up with that window

nvgringo
03-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Try:
home=/dev/sda1
or
home=scan

nvgringo
03-29-2006, 04:48 PM
oh, you might try not using myconfig= at all.

echromes
03-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Yes I tried all those and still get that box that comes up saying I have to click ok to mount the image. Do you know the one I am talking about? All the documentation I read about says nothing about this box popping up. They all say do this to mount your persistent drive.

nvgringo
03-30-2006, 04:24 PM
see below

nvgringo
03-30-2006, 04:33 PM
This probably does not belong in the remastering topic but let me ask a few questions. How did you create your persistent home directory. What version of KNOPPIX did you use? Did you change versions? That is did you create the persistent home directory from one version and now you are trying to load it from another version? The only time I see a box come up is when I create the persistent home directory. Did you choose to encrypt your home directory? Why would you use both myconfig= and home=? configurations are stored in your persistent home so using both might cause a problem. Could you have more than one image file in the partition?

To make your cheatcodes permanent you can edit your isolinux.cfg. Thats how I got 5.0 to boot in English. The problem is you have to change the file and then rewrite the iso file. There seems to be a lot of interest in editing the isolinux.cfg file. I will try to write a guide

echromes
03-30-2006, 05:55 PM
I am running Knoppix 4.0.2 and only have used that version. I will be remastering also but want to fix this problem first. From what I have learned the knoppix.img is the persistent home. The config file is knoppix.sh. I did verify that by not booting with myconf=/dev/sda1 and my configuration did not come up. The things I'm doing are in the cheatcodes. I don't use encrypt the home dir and that is the only img file I have. I did remake the img file to see if something is wrong. The box I'm talking about comes up half way through booting up. At the isolinux prompt I type in knoppix home=/mnt/sda1/knoppix.img then the system starts to boot. Then about 5 or 10 seconds later a box comes up like this:

************************************************** ************************************************** *
Knoppix has found an image file (/mnt/sda1/knoppix.img) This image contains the components listed below which can be activated separately.
Please be aware of the potential security risk of such configuration images, because of scripts that can run in admin mode, as opposed to the “normal� start of KNOPPIX. Therefore, if you wish, you have to acknowledge image activation by selecting “ok�.
If you do nothing, the system will boot normally (without image activation) in 20 seconds.

[X] Mount persistent KNOPPIX-homedirectory
[ ] Add as persistent, writeable system area
[X] Overwrite / update stored system configuration
[X] Start INIT-bootscripts (Network, printer etc.)

<OK> <CANCEL>
************************************************** ************************************************** **
If I click ok then I get my persistent home back. If I don't do anything for 20 seconds then I don't get my persistent home back. Have you seen this?

nvgringo
03-31-2006, 04:04 AM
not sure.

In the next couple of days I will create a home directory with 4.02