PDA

View Full Version : Last version with a boot floppy

joeo
03-20-2006, 04:26 PM
HI,

Will someone please tell me the last version of Knoppix Live CD that I can use a floppy for booting? Where can I download it?
I tried SBM and it does not work with my motherboard/cd-rom.

Thank you for your help!

Best Regards,

Joe O

Harry Kuhman
03-20-2006, 09:15 PM
That would be 4.0.2, assuming that you don't have the 5.0 release. But it's not the boot floppy with the Kernel on the floppy, the kernel has grown too large to fit on a floppy see answer #1 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman) for information on how to boot current releases with a single floppy. By the way, yes I still do this on some systems and yes it still works.

joeo
03-21-2006, 03:55 PM
HI Harry,

Thanks for the reply. As I stated in my question, SBM does not work for me. XOSL requires disk space AND uses SMB to boot from the CD. That is why I asked for a release that still supplied the old fashion boot floopy.

Best Regards,

Joe O

Harry Kuhman
03-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the reply. As I stated in my question, SBM does not work for me. XOSL requires disk space AND uses SMB to boot from the CD. That is why I asked for a release that still supplied the old fashion boot floopy.
I'm sorry Joe, I did miss seeing that SBM wasn't working for you. The Kernel has been too big for a single floppy for some time know and it will be hard to find a copy of Knoppix that predates that. Do you have any insight on why SBM isn't working on your system? Is the CD drive on something other than a standard IDE drive at the standard ports?