PDA

View Full Version : Installing modules? P.S: And talking about routers.

Terminico
03-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Hi,
I want to install a module for my wireless card.
Is there any way to get it onto a Knoppix System with an Image File or sth. else?
But i don't want to install Knoppix on my HDD.

Terminico

dvryknopper
03-21-2006, 01:24 AM
man ndiswrapper I am having trouble with my wi-fi card under linux, even with ndiswrapper, but this is because the vendor of the Dell TruMobile 1300 doesn't support linux I think, I will probably use Linuxant (http://www.linuxant.com/company/). Anyway, back to your question, if ndiswrapper will work for your card, you will need the inf files (the driver) for your card, ndiswrapper will use this to get your card working. The inf file for your card should be on your computer on windows somewhere, or you can try and find it online. For more specific help, you should give some system specs and the model of wifi card you are using

Terminico
03-21-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm using a Ralink RT2500 USB Card (or RT 2570 USB).
Does this work with Knoppix and can i install that program on it?
And I only have a .sys file for my Card...
I found it in the driver details for my card.
Terminico

dvryknopper
03-21-2006, 08:23 PM
I don't know if that one will work or not, google "Ralink RT2500 USB Card Linux support" or something like that to see, although I hear that usb wi-fi support for linux isn't good (I think I read that in a post here plus via personal research) but if it does work, download the inf driver, or locate it in windows put a copy of it on a thumdrive or on the ramdisk of your knoppix ramdisk and then on the command line type:

sudo ndiswrapper -i /path_to_your_inf_driver_file.inf If you don't know the name of your inf file to pull of your windows machine or to download, google "Ralink RT2500 USB Card inf driver or file" or something to that effect also good luck, hopefully that will be of help, I believe that there is some further configuration that you need to do once the inf file is loaded under ndiswrapper with kwifimanger, but I don't know much about that part because my card wouldn't work under ndiswrapper so I didn't get to kwifimanager, but if you run into trouble post in here and hopefully somebody else will be able to help you beyond ndiswrapper.

Terminico
03-22-2006, 07:11 AM
I got it working, but now it doesn't detect our Router so that I can't get into the internet.
How can i get that working?

Terminico

Terminico
03-22-2006, 06:46 PM
I got it working, but now it doesn't detect our Router so that I can't get into the internet.
How can i get that working?

Terminico

/edit: Can an admin plz erase this double post?
Sry 4 the double-post...

dvryknopper
03-22-2006, 09:12 PM
First I need to know what model the router you are using is and something about its configuration before I can help you further.

Terminico
03-22-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm using a T-Sinus 154 DSL Basic from T-Online.

dvryknopper
03-23-2006, 07:17 PM
This article was written by a user who had a similar problem it looks like the manufacturer of the router doesn't support linux or mac os x (http://blog.philkern.de/archives/51-T-Sinus-154-DSL.html) this is a common problem with alot of hardware manufacturers because they are in bed w/ M$ or are too lazy to make open hardware that will be as platform independent as possible :? Also, I got the impression that the router sucks in general, does it give you any trouble in windows sometimes? I would suggest a Belkin router, they are fairly cheap and work great w/ 802.11b/g support (I am refering to belkin products in the US in CA state, idk about their prices in other countries)

Terminico
04-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Hm, maybe i change my ISP too, because my ISP is the Deutsche Telekom^^.
I have a friend who told me that another ISP gives you a great Router, but i don't know if that router can be used with Knoppix and/or Linux.

Harry Kuhman
04-02-2006, 10:49 PM
, but i don't know if that router can be used with Knoppix and/or Linux.
As long as you are talking ethernet and not some usb hunk-o-junk, any router should work with Knoppix and Linux just fine. There is a big difference between a manufacturer not supporting you when using Linux (holding your hand) and the router not working with Linux. In fact, Belkin makes the only one that I have ever seen that would not work (it didn't do DHCP properly, could still be used if you manually configured the connection). This is far different from wireless NICs that frequently do not work with Linux and there is no Linux driver or even technical information that would allow a programmer to write a driver. Routers need no special software on the Linux box.

dvryknopper
04-03-2006, 12:11 AM
When you say

Belkin makes the only one that I have ever seen that would not work (it didn't do DHCP properly, could still be used if you manually configured the connection). are you saying that Belkin routers won't work onl linux even if connected directly with ethernet? Because I am using a Belkin router right now directly connected with an ethernet cable and when I boot, DHCP discover seems to work fine. Or are you meaning that it won't work with wi-fi, I'm not quite sure what you mean, if you could clarify that would be very helpful :)

Harry Kuhman
04-03-2006, 12:18 AM
I'm saying that I have seen (and have) one old Belkin (model F5D6231-4 Ver 1000) that failed to DHCP handshake properly with Linux. Others may have this problem too, I do not know, although since code often gets reused it seems likely. I have another Belkin that does not have this problem. I never said it extended through the complete Belkin line, only that I had seen one with the problem.

dvryknopper
04-03-2006, 05:29 AM
ok thanks for the clarification