PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if this topic been mentioned, but...

aabbud
03-21-2006, 01:39 PM
I have been trying to run Knoppix 3.9 and 4.0.2 on my computer and both will not recognize my Nvidia chipset nor my Creative Labs integrated soundCard. Once system boots in, the mouse freezes and either keyboard works or not. Also won't recognize external USB port device.

Here is the kicker: Used Knoppix 3.7 and it DETECTS both motherboard chipset and sound device, AND all works OK on boot up.

I'm pointing to the culprit being The Kernel update from 2.4.x to 2.6, and probably something that's getting missing on bootload.

Motherboard> MSI k8N Neo4 /SLI
2GB RAM
AMD FX57

Any help would be appreciated and maybe would help debug newer version.

Thanks

nad
03-21-2006, 01:46 PM
I assume that your are attempting to run a current liveCD. Have you tried using this cd in another machine? Possibly a bad burn?

aabbud
03-21-2006, 04:02 PM
I did 2 different download locations for 3.9 and burned them on different CD-RW discs. Does the same thing. Only did one download on Knoppix 4.0.2 and it still continued to do the same thing. 3.7 reburnt (just in case my DVD burner wasnt the issue), no problems detecting and running in.

Didn't test 3.8 because all of them run 2.6 kernel and only 3.7 is on 2.4 so more than likely Im going to run the same problem with that version too.

Help :? [/quote]

dvryknopper
03-21-2006, 08:46 PM
In researching a distribution of linux called puppy linux I read that using CD-RW to place the OS onto could cause issues, it read that the reason for that was because of the multisession features of puppy linux multisession. I know it is a big longshot, but perhaps there is another reason for not using CD-RW other than it causing problems with multisession cd's that might be causing an issue in knoppix. Try reburning all of the discs that are on CD-RW's onto CD-R and see if that makes a difference. Also, I will try buring knoppix v3.7 (please send me a link for the location of that iso) onto CD-R, CD-RW and the same with v3.8 which I already have and v4.0.2 which I don't have and see if that makes any difference at all, a long shot I know...but why not try right :)