PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 5.0 Netwokring Problem -- Strange

winsnomore
03-21-2006, 06:15 PM
I just booted knoppix 5.0. As ususal everything is great .. except the networiing doesn't work.

Everything looks setup correctly, but no access to outside world.

IP address is good (local from dhcp server on my router) . .is correct 192.168.0.7
(I ran netcardconfig by hand as well from the menu ... exits successfully).
I can successfully do ipup eth0 and ifdown eth0 ... but no pings works .. nothing.

- if config flags for eth0 say UP BROADCAST MULTICAST (but not RUNNING).

pings seem to be going to "lo" interface (The TX packget count gets updated there).

Any help will be appreciated .

winsnomore
03-21-2006, 07:09 PM
I got it to work by removing the ethernet cable and replugging it and running ifdown followed by ifup.
However it still doesn't want to get out .. i.e. only works in the subnet 192.168.0.xxxx

The router is good, there are other machines connected that are working fine (i am posting from one)

I don't understand this .. may be someone can shed a ligh on this issue.

Harry Kuhman
03-21-2006, 10:11 PM
Post the result of ifconfig.

What brand and model of router is it? (yes, I'm asking this for a reason.) Are you sure that the router isn't limiting access because of some setup issue, such as a MAC address table? We have seen this in these forums before, and it seems the most likely issue from what information you have given us. I suggest going into the router setup and turning off any router feature that limits Internet access, MAC filtering, IP address filtering, time of day filtering or any other rule that you might be imposing (save your router configuration first so you can reload it if you wish). Warning: do not use the logic "this same NIC worked under Windows so I can leave the MAC address filters in place".

winsnomore
03-21-2006, 11:58 PM
@Harry

Harry I am sorry I am on another machine and the two can't talk so cut paste is not possible.

This machine has been my Linux distro try machine .. I had Kanotix and Suse on it .. and bootem them alternatively .. never a problem. This one though is very strange.

I did look at the router, the MAC address is fine .. nothing is blocked on the router (it's Belkin)

I get IP address 192.168.0.7 .. Broadcast mask is fine .. Net mask is fine.

Only thing (was) that eth0 didn't have RUNNING flag on .. "lo" interface did.

After I plugged the cable in/out .. I still had to ifdown/ifup and it started pinging locally .. but still doesn't go outside.

Thank for the response .. any suggestions are welcome.

Harry Kuhman
03-22-2006, 12:32 AM
Well, you are running 5.0, which I have no experience with and will not try to get until there is a real official Internet release, so if it is a 5.0 issue I will likely not be of much help. Just knowing that the router is a Belkin but not knowing the model number isn't much help. I have seen one old Belkin (model F5D6231-4 Ver 1000) that failed to DHCP handshake properly with Knoppix, but that does not sound like your problem. If you are certain that it is not a router configuration issue then I don't think I can be of assistance.

winsnomore
03-22-2006, 12:52 AM
@Harry

Here is the router info.
Firmware Version 4.03.03 Boot Version 2.01.03
Hardware F5D7230-4 (this is the model #)

I had no problem using this router with Knoppix 4.0 .. well .. thanks for the mail, I think it's a 5.0 issue

Duncan Macdonald
04-02-2006, 10:58 PM
There seems to be a bug in the networking startup in 5.0 :( - to get round it bring up a console window
and enter the following commands

su
ifconfig eth0 up
route add default gw 192.168.2.1 (or whatever the IP address of your router is)

This will get internet access working :)