PDA

View Full Version : LaTeX

dvryknopper
03-21-2006, 07:42 PM
anybody use this, or is it an obsolete tool? if not, where can I find it for debian (Kanotix 2005-04)?

dvryknopper
03-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Just an expansion on my question, does anyone here use Kile to edit LaTeX formatted articles and to create pdf files from them? If so, can you give me some general pointers on successful conversions to pdf format?

Kowood
03-28-2006, 03:53 AM
It's not at all obsolete. It's simply not a GUI, which some people might associate with obsolet. LaTeX is really great for command line users.

dvryknopper
03-28-2006, 05:42 AM
would you happen to know how to get conversions to pdf format running smoothly with LaTeX editors? I am completely new at LaTeX in general and am generally lost, google isn't helping me out too much on that one :)

angor
03-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Disclaimer: I have never used these tools, so take what I say with a grain of salt...

According to the man page, texi2pdf should do what you want to accomplish.
It depends on texi2dvi, which in turn depends on pdflatex. Make sure you have
these packages installed:
- texinfo
- tetex-bin
- tetex-base (probably)

HTH

perce
08-03-2006, 12:05 PM
LaTeX is not obsolete at all: in fact it is the standard for writing Mathematics and Physics, but of course it's a great tool for write any type of structured document. Unfortunately it's not very well known outside the mathematical and physical community because of a (supposed) difficulty of use and also because the everage person doesn't need all its power. To have a working LaTeX in your system you should install tetex-extra, tetex-base, and tetex-doc. I sugest also prosper or latex-beamer for
powerpoint-like presentations using LaTeX.

posmanet
08-04-2006, 01:31 PM
If You're complete new to LaTeX, plus You maybe want a GUI, then LyX may be what You're searching for.

apt-get update
apt-get install lyx-qt

With this one You can edit more comfortable, use a mouse :o), plus You have the ability to export to multiple formats, including pdf.