PDA

View Full Version : can I save settings to HD?

joshknape
03-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Hello. Am I correct in understanding that, although installing Knoppix to my HD is inadvisable, I can make it save the settings to my HD? If so, how do I do that? I suppose this has been asked before, but I could not find such a page on the site. Please point me to it if it already exists.

By the way, I should like to say: Knoppix is my favorite distribution--partly because I am sentimentally attached to it (it was the first distro I did anything useful with), and partly because I like its bland, stark and generic menus. I don't feel that the writer had an attitude of "the computer is your friend" or some such nonsense.

Harry Kuhman
03-22-2006, 11:03 PM
What format is that HD partitioned with? If the answer is NTFS then the answer to your question is NO.

joshknape
03-22-2006, 11:10 PM
I have two partitions (three, counting a swap partition) and am using one of them for this distro (Xandros), which I will dump if I can figure out how to save Knoppix's settings. My control panel says this Linux partition is formatted to ReiserFS. I am willing to reformat it to something else if that will help.

dvryknopper
03-22-2006, 11:30 PM
I think all you have to do is open the command line and type
saveconfig it may require the sudo command before it, but after that, a GUI menu will pop up and walk you through the rest of the steps I believe, I have switched to kanotix on hd install so haven't used that feature in a while, and when I use the livecd on machines away from home, I rarely save config, and just dump files onto a thumbdrive, but the GUI should give you an option which drive and partition to save onto. then at the next boot you would type

knoppix myconfig=/mnt/drive_where_config_is
OR

knoppix myconfig=scan

Philip
05-29-2006, 10:45 AM
Hello :)

I was happily surprised to find, using knoppix 5.0DVD, that one is perfectly able to save files to a NTFS partition and that those files are readable by "the other Aperitive system" :) Sorry, Harry ;) Try it and tell us :)
Haven't done much trials on them yet as to different formats though.

NTFS support is alreday quite advanced in GNU/Linux :) I'll however stick for a while with vfat partitions when I need then until this ntfs support is included in Debian stable.

But the question has been asked quite a few times: ¿how does one save the config to other than the floppy, be it usb pendrive or hd?
Sorry, dvryknopper, but noGUI popup menu nor the terminal give you the option of saving config to other than the floppy :( But thanks for the cheatcode :)
It certainly would be useful to have the saveconfig script ask the user for that option.

Ihave tried editing /usr/sbin/saveconfig
line 136 (or somewhere there), change /mnt/ for /media/
that SebP10 suggested but I must not know enough to save the file appropiately and have not been able to save to hd as yet :(

Anyone could give detailed instructions on how to do it? Thank you very much.

Philip :)

Harry Kuhman
05-29-2006, 06:15 PM
Sorry, Harry ;) Try it and tell us :)
I will not try 5.0. I will respect what Klaus wishes to release to the Internet and I will try 5.0.1 when it is officially released, expected to be later this week.

I have doubts that I will let it write to my NTFS partition even after that date, at least until I see how badly Microsoft manages to punish others for doing it. I really don't want to have to recover a corrupt NTFS partition.

Philip
05-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Hi Harry :)

I will not try 5.0. I will respect what Klaus wishes to release to the Internet and I will try 5.0.1 when it is officially released, expected to be later this week.

Ah! Ok, sorry. I guess you have good reasons for that.

I have doubts that I will let it write to my NTFS partition even after that date, at least until I see how badly Microsoft manages to punish others for doing it. I really don't want to have to recover a corrupt NTFS partition.

;) I certainly had never tried had it not been a new machine we're practically ready to wipe off the partition table containing the 3 enigmatic vfat and ntfs partitions that came from factory. We just saw that we could write to it and since we had nothing to lose went ahead and tried it.
I realize that it is still not safe to do so as yet. Not that we have great need nor really want to be doing it habitually :)
In fact, ntfsprogs are more or less like the objections people have about wine: if you produce some code to use m$ products you are fomenting their being used ;)

Thanks for your comment, Harry.

Philip :)

joshknape
05-30-2006, 02:49 AM

Begging your pardon, but what's this all about? Was release 5.0 stolen and released without Klaus Knopper's permission?

Harry Kuhman
05-30-2006, 02:53 AM
Begging your pardon, but what's this all about? Was release 5.0 stolen and released without Klaus Knopper's permission?
Stolen would be a harsh term. It was released at a trade show, but iit has never been officailly released by Klaus to the Internet. He has stated he will release a free Internet version "when it is ready", which I understand to be this week. He clearly could have released the old version if he so chose, but he did not. I respect Klaus' decision to decide when his work should be posted to the Internet. I have no interest in those who obtained the trade show disk and posted unofficial copies.