PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a new forum - tips & tricks

true1ever
05-08-2003, 06:00 PM
I was thinking that it might be a good idea to have a forum where we can post how to do things with knoppix that might not be immediately apparent.

For example, if you ever need to print to an HP jetdirect printer but don't want to bother setting up the printing manager and CUPS etc, you can just print to a .ps file, (let's call it print.ps), and then assuming the IP address of the printer was 10.0.1.5 you would type this in a term window:

netcat 10.0.1.5 9100 < print.ps

Voila!

adamm
05-08-2003, 06:31 PM
A tips & tricks forum would be cool!!! :D
It would definatly be one that I would try to contribute to and check frequently!
I guess you could say I'm a tips & tricks kind of guy. I'm always searching for new ones.

aay
05-08-2003, 07:51 PM
I think this is a good idea as well. Usually you have to scour all the forums for these tips and tricks. It might help make finding things even easier if the tips and tricks forum had some sub categories like: hdinstall, networking, printing etc.

true1ever
05-08-2003, 11:47 PM
Well, if it gets to be that popular it may be worth dividing it into sections but initially even if it was all combined into one forum it would still be great to browse and learn.

Friendly Guy
05-09-2003, 04:59 PM
A great idea. Isn't that the whole idea of 'open source'; no one should struggle to reinvent the wheel (or it's digital equivalent :wink: )

garyng
05-09-2003, 06:04 PM
A great idea. Isn't that the whole idea of 'open source'; no one should struggle to reinvent the wheel (or it's digital equivalent :wink: )

No, open source to me means people reinvent the wheel again and again, otherwise everyone can just use XP.

true1ever
05-09-2003, 06:37 PM
Then again, some wheels are better than others. I remember someone saying that a triangular wheel is better than a square wheel because there is one less shake per rotation :?

Friendly Guy
05-10-2003, 07:54 PM
I thinks my learned friend is mixing up the wheel with the car. :?

eadz
05-11-2003, 03:50 AM
I thought about this, but I think that the tips and tricks should be added to the wiki instead. http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/TipsAndTricks anyone ?

the reason is that the wiki will maybe one day be part of knoppix in the form of documentation, and it would be good to have the tips and tricks there.

Fabianx
05-11-2003, 03:55 PM
I thought about this, but I think that the tips and tricks should be added to the wiki instead. http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/TipsAndTricks anyone ?

the reason is that the wiki will maybe one day be part of knoppix in the form of documentation, and it would be good to have the tips and tricks there.

I agree its better to have the tipps & tricks in the wikil.

cu

Fabian

true1ever
05-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Thanks Eadz, great idea!

Polardude
05-14-2003, 12:07 AM
I still think the "Tips & Tricks" section should be added to the forum. Regardless, no one seems to be adding anything to the wiki.

Plus, having it in the forum will be more noticable to the average user.... (Having a section in 2 places is harmless, :wink:)

eadz
05-14-2003, 12:12 AM
I still think the "Tips & Tricks" section should be added to the forum. Regardless, no one seems to be adding anything to the wiki.

Plus, having it in the forum will be more noticable to the average user.... (Having a section in 2 places is harmless, :wink:)

Well if all the people who said "I think there should be a tips and tricks forum" had any tips and tricks, you think there would be more than one tip on there. ..

burke3gd
05-14-2003, 06:37 AM
I think the tips & tricks section could be in both places because it is a whole lot easier to post in the forums than in the wiki. (Most people are after all more familiar with phpbb than with wiki's.) Some of the more knowleagable users could then add all the good tips from the forums to the wiki and so we would have the best in both worlds.

Friendly Guy
05-14-2003, 05:25 PM
Well if all the people who said "I think there should be a tips and tricks forum" had any tips and tricks, you think there would be more than one tip on there. ..

I'd happily contribute; there are a few things i've discovered that have made my 'life with knoppix' a lot easier & i'd love to share them & learn a few others, even if they fall in to the 'stupid but true' category in the view of the older hands out there.

i'm not a PC newbie but I am to Linux & this wiki thing is a new thing to me too. I am sure I am not alone.

true1ever
05-14-2003, 06:45 PM
Well, perhaps we can use this thread to post the tips and tricks until a forum gets created and then we will at least have some posts to populate the new forum with... what do you guys think?

aay
05-14-2003, 07:51 PM
Personally, I'm for a forum since it would allow some feedback on these tips and tricks (like "bad idea" or good idea and here's how to improve it), but I don't think that this meets with the concensus of opinion. I suggest those interested in this use the wiki for now. If support for a forum increases or a need for it becomes apparent, then perhaps it will be created. Until some more things get posted on the wiki however, I doubt this will happen.

eadz
05-15-2003, 05:09 PM
There are a lot of people who requested this so I have added it. I hope it gets used!

I guess that the forum may be easier to use than the wiki, and certianly looks better. I might have to see if I can improve how the wiki looks.

true1ever
05-15-2003, 07:45 PM
Thanks Eadz :)...