PDA

View Full Version : Connecting with an NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

slvrldy17
03-25-2006, 03:59 AM
New Computer - New Problems with Internet Connection...

With my old comp down with what appears to be a failed motherboard, I am currently using a new E-machines T3304 - AMD Sempron 3300+ processor - 736MB RAM - 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN that uses an NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller. Running Knoppix 4.0.2 - it boots up fine but no internet connection detected. Connection is thru a wired router set up for auto DHCP. Suspect I'm missing a driver or the like. Any ideas on what to try? Since Windows works with no problem I know the connection is good and could download a driver to a USB key to try if I knew what/where/how.

Maud_Dib
03-25-2006, 12:18 PM
I have a GA-K8N51GMF-9 Motherboard with an onboard Gigabit NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller , and I had the same problem. I solved it by adding a PCI NIC card and rebooting.
Knoppix 5.0 is supposed to be out soon , within a month , I hope :)
Maybe it will support our onboard NICs ?

If you do figure out how to load the Nvidia drivers , let me know !

slvrldy17
03-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Maud,
If you don't mind my asking, what brand and model PCI NIC card did you use? Since the other distro that I have been using - Puppy Linux - is also unable to connect I might take your route. It would be nice to be able to check for compatibility with my Puppy distro before I buy, as I have no idea when or if it might have the new drivers added/updated.

Thanks,

Alice

Maud_Dib
03-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Well , Alice "Any Old Nic will Do" LOL
The term "OLD" is the Operative word here :)
It takes a while for New Motherboard Hardware to get software drivers built into Linux , so I ran down to the local Store and bought the cheapest 10/100 PCI card NIC they had , and it worked just fine.
I then ordered another GA-K8N51GMF-9 motherboard with an Opteron 165 dual core CPU and a $3.99 generic PCI NIC and it runs fine also !

Let me check .....
The local one was about $15.00 and a D-Link DFE-530TX+
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=122
the on-line one was $3.99 and a Archtek UE1205RE 10/100Mbps PCI Ethernet Adapter 1x RJ-45 .... the price has gone up:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16833128010

But , really , any cheap PIC based 10/100 ethernet card will probably work , just stay away from the /1000 ( Gigabit ) cards !
someone will GIVE you a 10T card to get you by , just ask around !
Hope this helps !
and thanks for the PM , It was my First !
e-mail would have beeen faster tho :)