PDA

View Full Version : Howto: Installing Ximian Evolution

MattT
05-09-2003, 12:39 AM
Evolution uses some lib files that have been moved in Debian. Here is how I was able to install Ximian Evolution 1.0.5 after much frustration.

Use apt-get to install Evolution
apt-get update
apt-get install evolution

At this point if you try to run evolution you will get the error: Cannot initialize the Ximian Evolution shell: Configuration Database not found. This is because a program called wombat can not find some lib files. You can confirm this by running /usr/lib/evolution/wombat.

These files have been moved from /usr/lib/ to /usr/lib/mozilla/ (another copy is also kept at /usr/lib/openoffice). Copy the following files from /usr/lib/mozilla/ to /usr/lib/:
libplc4.so
libplds4.so
libnspr4.so
libssl3.so
libsmime3.so
libnss3.so
libsoftokn3.so
Note libssl3.so has the letter L in it not the number one.

Now Evolution should run just fine :)

paradocs
05-09-2003, 10:13 AM
Hi MattT , Hi all.

This looks like a good solution.
The forum
http://www.linuxtag.org/forum
has a section for applications:
Fragen zu Knoppix-Anwendungen

It would be nice if this english forum had
more sections.

Your post may be appreciated at:

KNOPPIX-DE / Anwendungen / Bestes E-Mailprogramm für KDE
or
KNOPPIX-DE / Anwendungen / Ximian > evolution <

Best Wishes

aay
05-23-2003, 04:05 AM
MattT,

Thanks!!! This worked like a charm. I didn't think that I would be able to get Evolution working on this hdinstall, but now it's working fine. There is still lots of Gnome stuff broken but at least for now I have Evolution working.

Adam

garyng
05-23-2003, 04:07 AM
Can this be considered a bug in the debian evolution package ? I thought apt-get install means I don't have to manually do any of these ? If I build it from the tarball, that would be another issue.

aay
05-23-2003, 05:19 AM
Oh I'd deffinitely call it a problem. But I'm pretty sure this is something that is known about. The only real issue is where certain libs are placed. Probably just a problem for those who are mixing and matching releases (stable, testing, unstable) like Knoppix does.

I'm more concerned with thte fact that Gnome 2 has genuine bugs in it. I can't get it installed on my Knoppix hdinstall for the life of me - packages are broken for the moment.