PDA

View Full Version : deciphering netcardconfig

kjell1979
03-27-2006, 02:39 AM
I don't know if this goes in the boot section or the network section. I just flipped a coin, so feel free to move it if it's not in the right place. On boot up Knoppix doesn't recognize the integrated network card as both wired and wireless, only wired. I'm in the process of configuring my Knoppix.sh script to configure and activate my wireless connection so I don't have to run any supplimentary commands each time I boot knoppix. My problem is that in order to get the wireless card working I need to run netcardconfig, which has a gui front end; something not appropriate for bootup. What I'm trying to find out is how to replace the stuff done in netcardconfig with real command line commands and/or file modifications. Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction for deciphering this command?

Thanks!

nine1one4u
04-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi

Test some of this commands:

I'v just tested out two different pcmcia cards with knoppix 4.0 and just had to configure the wifi settings. I started a consol and changed to root ( su -) no password. Then I typed iwconfig and found lo, eth0 and eth1 so I tryed iwlist eth0/eth1 scan but the cards didt support it. Then I tryed to configure the cards with iwconfig eth0 essid "the network name" and it did't complain so then i set iwconfig eth0 channel 3 and then iwconfig eth0 enc xxxxxxxxxx where the x are my encryption key. The next thing I did was network-setup chosed wlancard to accept dhcp. Viola I'm on the net.

Nine1one4u

malaire
04-17-2006, 12:39 PM
netcardconfig is a bash-script located at /usr/sbin/netcardconfig so you might want to try to understand what it does, if you know enough bash-scripting.

knoppix@1[knoppix]$ which netcardconfig
/usr/sbin/netcardconfig
knoppix@1[knoppix]$ head -n4 /usr/sbin/netcardconfig
#!/bin/bash
# netcardconfig - A very light-weight text-based network configuration tool.
# (C) Klaus Knopper Nov 2002

knoppix@1[knoppix]$