PDA

View Full Version : cannot connect to internet !!

soumya
03-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Hey Guys
I know my problem is dealt before but I am unable to solve my problem !!

My ifconfig works... Iam able to ping my neighbourhood PCs but Iam unable to connect to internet!!
I use a static IP.... and my ifconfig looks something like this

root@bluetooth:~# ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:11:0E:A6:D6
inet addr:10.232.177.35 Bcast:10.232.177.255 Mask:255.255.254.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:83902 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:11138 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:16351717 (15.5 MiB) TX bytes:1431915 (1.3 MiB)
Base address:0xdf40 Memory:fcfe0000-fd000000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:175 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:175 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:14403 (14.0 KiB) TX bytes:14403 (14.0 KiB)

and I have set the proxy settings in my mozilla as they are there in my windows PC..... etc etc
but even then Konqueror says
Unable to find proxy....

Please Help

Harry Kuhman
03-27-2006, 09:21 PM
and I have set the proxy settings in my mozilla as they are there in my windows PC..... etc etc
Why do you have a proxy in your windows system? If it is because of some overly agressive virus scanner or internet "security tool" that you installed in windows, then it doesn't exist when runing Knoppix; try it with no proxy. You mainly should only need a proxy with Knoppix if you are behind a corporate firewall at work that insists all of your browsing goes through their special proxy system. Of course, there can be some special Linux cases where a home user may want to have a proxy, but if you are in that category then you know about proxies and would not ask this question.

soumya
03-28-2006, 06:06 AM
no it doesn't work... it says www.mozilla.org cannot be found :(

Harry Kuhman
03-28-2006, 06:16 AM
What?

soumya
03-28-2006, 07:02 AM
Hey Harry,
My colleague uses Red Hat Linux.... and the browser was given those proxy settings which I had given in my debian (knoppix hd install) mozilla browser and it worked for him......

and I removed the proxy as u told and it doesn't connect

Harry Kuhman
03-28-2006, 07:16 AM
Hey Harry,
My colleague uses Red Hat Linux.... and the browser was given those proxy settings which I had given in my debian (knoppix hd install) mozilla browser and it worked for him......

and I removed the proxy as u told and it doesn't connect
You use proxy settings for some reason, and "someone else uses them" is not really a good reason. I didn't promise that your unknown system would work without them, but I can say if you don't know why you are creating proxy settings, don't do it, it will only make things worse.

As to what your next problem is, I don't know. See answer #3 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman). It looks like you are using some kind or router since you have a private 10.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address and you mention "neighborhood PCs", but we can't be sure of what you are using unless you tell us.

Also, are you getting that ifconfig setup by DHCP, or are you manually entering those settings? Since you say you have multiple PC, please also give us not just the ifconfig output from the failing computer but also the ifconfig (for Linux) or ipconfig (for Windows) output of another system.

soumya
03-28-2006, 07:31 AM
My Windows PC's ipconfig

D:\Profiles\in1356c>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.232.176.68
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.232.176.2

Thanks Harry for the insight... I got what u wanna say.....
Yeah proxy are for more of a security settings....

and its not DHCP... I have manually entered the netcardconfig parameters..... I think I had a problem with the nameserver
am I right abt the problem being there at giving a wrong name server??

Harry Kuhman
03-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks Harry for the insight... I got what u wanna say.....
Yeah proxy are for more of a security settings....

and its not DHCP... I have manually entered the netcardconfig parameters..... I think I had a problem with the nameserver
am I right abt the problem being there at giving a wrong name server??
Actually, I had hoped that you were getting the settings by DHCP, it is much less likely that there would be a problem setting that way. Is there any reason that you are not getting the setup by DHCP?

I was also hoping that you would tell us what equipment you are using, we are kind of working in the dark without that and your router is somewhat unusual - while most home routers support at most a class C private network (a total of 254 IP addresses including the router, and some support as few as 32), yours seems to be supporting, based on the netmask, broadcast address and router address, as many as 510. Nothing wrong with that, it's just good to recheck things and make sure that this untypical configuration is what it really should be. You Windows setting seem to confirm the settings are correct, but knowing what the router is might help.

Yes, you very well might have a Domain Name Server issue, particularly if you have entered that setting manually. Here's a simple test that you can do to see if that is the problem:

From a shell, ping 216.32.81.146

If that works, ping knoppix.net
If the first one works and the second one does not then you have a DNS problem, since they are both trying to ping the same location and the only difference is the dns lookup needed for the second ping.

Harry Kuhman
03-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Also, so if you are manually making the settings and not using DHCP, just what program are you running to make the setting and exactly what dialog do you have with it to configure it? We can't spot a bad input if we never see the input.

soumya
03-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Hey Harry...
Iam using netcardconfig and then giving the IP and the other parameters....
By the way this is office cable internet....
Iam an intern here... dunno much abt the router equipment etc... and neways Iam trying to find out abt the equipment....

First I get whether it is DHCP or not... and then i give a "no" then I manually set the IP... and then I give the other parameters of the gateway like subnet mask...gateway etc....

and it was unable to ping the IP u have mentioned......

will get back to u again after I come to know abt the equipment.....

and btw the DHCP is able to set the ifconfig..... it gives something like.....

root@0[~]# ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:11:0E:A6:D6
inet addr:10.232.176.235 Bcast:10.232.177.255 Mask:255.255.254.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:56212 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:15606 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:8147996 (7.7 MiB) TX bytes:4112462 (3.9 MiB)
Base address:0xdf40 Memory:fcfe0000-fd000000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:58 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:58 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:5792 (5.6 KiB) TX bytes:5792 (5.6 KiB)

Harry Kuhman
03-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Hey Harry...
Iam using netcardconfig and then giving the IP and the other parameters....
By the way this is office cable internet....
Iam an intern here... dunno much abt the router equipment etc... and neways Iam trying to find out abt the equipment....

Well, that makes sense with the netmask and other settings. And now that we know it is an office Internet it very well could be that you do indeed need a proxy (depends on how the person who configured the network configured things). Is that colleague you mention who uses Red Hat working at the same place, or does he connect elsewhere. If he works at the same place then I would expect that your proxy setting should match his, but the best advice would be to touch bases with the systems network administrator, or whoever gave your colleague his network settings.

soumya
03-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Hey Harry it worked!!!
yep my colleague is in the same team.... and god knows why it works in Konqueror not in mozilla.... may be some settings mismatch.....

Thanks for ur patience!!!