PDA

View Full Version : Able to create knoppix.img, but will not detect on startup

bigeeguy
03-28-2006, 05:19 AM
I am running ver 4.0.2 on a PIII 1GHz machine. I am not able to have my persistent image detected on startup. I am using a 80GB USB HD with 6 total partitions on it. The image file gets created on logical partition /mnt/sda7 (ext2) without error. I create a few files in the /home/knoppix folder to verify that I am able to write to the partition after the image is created. Now after I restart, the contents of my /home gets blown away with none of my files present. During the boot process, I get no prompt asking me if the persistent image file found should be loaded like the wiki stated. I also read somewhere that during bootup, I should see a message to the effect of "Mounting /mnt/sda7/knoppix.img as /home/.... I have never seen this message. I have also tried the following cheatcodes without success:

knoppix home=/dev/sda7
knoppix home=/mnt/sda7
knoppix home=scan

So what am I missing?

Everything that I have read about the persistent image says it should just work.

echromes
03-28-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm haveing trouble with the persistent image too. I use the same at startup but want to mount the image on my usb drive [ knoppix home=/mnt/sda1/knoppix.img ] . My problem is that know matter what I do I always get a message that pops that it found the image and do I want to mount it. If I don't do anything it doesn't mount it. So I have to tell it to mount it each time I boot. Babysitting the boot up is a real pain. I'm trying to figure out how to not ask me to mount it... like maybe some switch that means mount and don't ask if it is ok.

bigeeguy
03-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Not exactly, I dont even get the message asking if I want to use the knoppix.img when I boot from the USB HD.

Another fact for the pool, using a zip 100 drive, Knoppix was able to find and boot from the image. The zip drive appeared on sda4. I didnt even have to type in any cheat codes at startup. I did notice that the primary partition on the zip disk was FAT 16 and was also marked as boot. Are either of these required for a persistent boot image??