PDA

View Full Version : how to edit the startup script in knoppix?

erictck
05-09-2003, 06:51 AM
hi guys... i'm very new in linux. know nuts abt it and don't even know where to begin with until i found out abt the wonderful knoppix.

So easy to use, without the need to have deep understanding on how linux work. But it gets quite complex when i try to understand how knowppix executes.

Hope by posting my queries here, I can get an understanding on how i can do my stuffs on knoppix.

1. I would like to build a mp3 server-box. To auto execute the playlist each time i pop in the CD into my computer. I guess i can do it via some script ?? But the question is, how can i do it ?

2. The knoppix file system is in COMPRESSED into a 700Mb file. How can I update the startup script if EVERYTHING is already compressed into 1 file ? Can I disect it and make the changes ?

i hope to get some replies. thankQ.

Ghandalfar
05-09-2003, 07:01 AM
2. You should read this first:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto
it will make things a bit clearer.

1. You could put the script in one of the rc.* directiories.

erictck
05-09-2003, 07:09 AM
thanks for your prompt reply... yes i've read it... I'm still a little bit lost.

I understand that I can put the file in the RC-directory. But you can only see those directory when you boot into knoppix right ?

These RC-directories are compressed and it's directory structure is strored in the knoppix file(700Mb).

Question is, how can i edit the RC-Directory and then remaster it ?

erictck
05-09-2003, 07:16 AM
hi Ghandalfar,

quick question. I would like to play the xmms program for the mp3 music.

How can i edit the RC so that it can auto-execute ?

Ghandalfar
05-09-2003, 01:16 PM
hmm..

read the instructions on the above page how to extract cloop compressed ISO..

the step when you are chrooted.. there you can put files in rc.* but I'd recommend something else to you..

if you won't remove KDE you can put symlink to xmms in /etc/skel/.kde/Autostart/

it will start up on boot. If the playlist is always the same you could create simple script like this

----

#!/bin/sh
xmms -p /path/to/playlis.m3u

---

and put in the above directory.

erictck
05-09-2003, 02:03 PM
thankQ. I'll give it a try...