PDA

View Full Version : Serious problem. Can't start X. Please help.

junglemike
03-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Hi all, I'm New to Linux. Never worked with it in the past, but I guess everybody starts sometime.
I have very old Toshiba 3110ct laptop. PII-300mhz/128mb ram/30gb hdd. It is ultra-slim model, so it has neither cd-rom, nor floppy, nor network card, and it can't boot from usb. So Ha had to borrow from the friend his Laptop which can boot from cd-rom., (he isn't using it anyway) I Put my harddisk in his laptop. Booted from Knoppix LIve cd. Than I used an option for hard disk install, and installed sucsessfully to the harddisk (including grub setup). Than put my hdd to my laptop, booted. Linux startup went fine, untill the point , where it had to start X.
It didn't work, Here is the error i got:

fatal server error:
no screens found.

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server " :0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed ) with 0 events remaining

I must add that beforehad I tried to install DSL linux and encountered the same problem - X didn't work. Even if I just put this (my) harddisk to friend's laptop - it boots and launches graphical interface, as it should. In the DSL forum, i was told that probably because DLS is only 50mb distro, it doesn't contain xfree68, but only vesa.
Than I googled, and searched for this forum, than tried to launch "Xf86cfg", there i chosed my monitor (which is 800x600), and my sisplay adapter (Trident cyber 9525 2.5mb videoram) and than saved x86 config file.
AFter reboot I have still the same error.

I'm starting to think that no current destribution is going to work on my old lap. Is there a chance that some 3-5 year old knoppix could work on my computer? And where i get this old stuff?
Thanks.

eon
04-05-2006, 04:25 AM
I would take a look at the cheatcodes and then try xserver and/or xmodules and see if the works. You can also do 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" from command,ine a try a reconfigure your x. good luck.