PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Won't Detect PCI Ethernet Card

ti83programmer
05-09-2003, 08:04 PM
I have an HP Pavilion 4450 (few years old), Celeron 366MHz, 192MB RAM.

I try booting and one of the first lines says "PCI: cannot allocate resource region 4 of 00:07.1".

Everything works fine after this (I have display problems, so I type "knoppix xmodule=vesa" at the boot prompt and it's fine), except the ethernet card isn't detected (and I assume the above error is related).

I try installing it, but it won't take. I'm not sure what to do from this point. Suggestions?

Stephen
05-09-2003, 08:31 PM
A quick google search (http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=PCI%3A%20cannot%20allocate%20resource%20region%2 04%20of%2000%3A07.1&btnG=Google+Search) reveals you should try pci=noacpi or acpi=off. I find a cut and paste of any error into google will usually come up with a few revelant pages to help with solving the problem.

ti83programmer
05-09-2003, 08:44 PM
How can I type both this and the vesa thing in at the same time? Is there some kind of console I can type that into once Knoppix has already started? Or can I put them both on the same line? I'm sorry, I'm a complete and total idiot when it comes to Linux.

ti83programmer
05-09-2003, 08:58 PM
Nevermind, I used this:

knoppix xmodule=vesa acpi=off

I also tried pci=noacpi and neither worked.

Stephen
05-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Did you still get the error? Also what does the output of lspci -v in a console tell you is the card detected there. Try dmesg | less to see the boot messages one screen at a time to see if the card is detected at boot or if there is an error. What is the card model number, manufacturer? Also try pci=biosirq. Check in your bios to see if it is set for Plug'N'Play OS if so turn it off.

RockMumbles
05-10-2003, 12:23 AM
If you have an on-board graphics chip/integrated motherboard maybe try:

knoppix pci=biosirq xmodule=vesa

What kind of graphics chip does your computer have?

rock

Henk Poley
05-10-2003, 01:34 PM
knoppix xmodule=vesa acpi=off

I also tried pci=noacpi and neither worked.
It should read knoppix xmodule=vesa noacpi...

rickenbacherus
05-12-2003, 05:58 PM
I try booting and one of the first lines says "PCI: cannot allocate resource region 4 of 00:07.1".

So why can't it allocate that memory? I smell IRQ conflict. Do this in a term:

procinfo -f

That will tell you what is using what IRQ. As will

lspci -v

And let's not forget

dmesg

In your BIOS did you disable IRQ sharing? PCI BUS mastering? Automatic assignment of IRQ's?

Of course I don't know what options your BIOS has so I can't say for sure but you should hopefully see some options as I have posted above.

You could always try removing the card and booting to see if you still get the same error. Also moving the card to another slot might help.

axeman
06-28-2003, 04:20 AM
I have the same comp and the same problem.After running lspci -v, this is what I get.
00:0a.0 Ethernet Controller:Lynksys Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 model nc 100(rev11)
SubSystem:Lynksys:unknown device0574
Flags:BusMaster,medium devsal, latency 32
I/O ports at 1400[disabled][size=256]
Memory at f 4000000(32bit,non prefetchable)[disabled][size=1k]
expansion rom at <unasigned>[disabled][size=128k]
Capabilities: <available only to root>

Stephen
06-28-2003, 04:47 AM
I have the same comp and the same problem.After running lspci -v, this is what I get.

You have an IRQ conflict somewhere follow rickenbacherus's advice and see what that tells you. I have the same type of card in my machine it uses the tulip module so you may want to try lsmod in a console to see if the module loaded after you sort out the IRQ there will be a 1 in the line for it if it is in use. My settings for reference:

00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Linksys Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 model NC100 (rev 11)
Subsystem: Unex Technology Corp.: Unknown device d020
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
I/O ports at c800 [size=256]
Memory at dffffc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
Expansion ROM at dffc0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: <available only to root>

As you can see mine gets a IRQ and as a result has a I/O port which yours doesn't.