PDA

View Full Version : XFCE4 Remaster

mrdivad
04-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Hi i have been playing with knoppix and have shrunk my iso down to a handy 240mb :) I've ditched KDE and have gone for XFCE4.

My question is can i use this howto http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18698 or something similar to remaster my copy by going into the xfce4 desktop, make my cosmetic changes and then save them to a new remaster? Currently i do all my remastering in init 2 but would really like to be able to pop into the xfce to make changes that will be saved in my new remaster. Obviously the above works for kde but im not using this anymore, can it be changed to work for xfce4?

Many thanks

mrdivad
04-05-2006, 10:28 AM
I've been experimenting even more with the howto and I just cant get it to work for XFCE. When i try and start it I get errors such as "no screens found" and problems with "Xauthority". Does anyone know if it is possible to do this? If you can do it for KDE its gotta be do-able for XFCE hasnt it??

Cheers

Hafidz
04-05-2006, 11:17 AM
it should ..... but u have to post the error completely ..... i am blind here .....

mrdivad
05-02-2006, 02:44 PM
I get Fatal server error: no screens found

Anyone have any ideas what im doing wrong??

Hafidz
05-04-2006, 09:34 AM
have u try only doing
#su knoppix
#start_xfce // or something like xfce_setup
then
#startx

see if that worked ... i have not try this for a long time .. but it might work ...

mrdivad
05-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Hi, thank you for your reply. I am in init 2 and I have just tried your suggestion.

When i type startxfce4 or startx i get:

(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
(EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()

Fatal server error:
no screens found

XIO: fatal IO error 104 on X server ":0.0"

What am i doing wrong? I cant seem to get past this error.

malaire
05-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Have you checked http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto#X_Session_Configuration ?

ps. just a suggestion, I don't really know if this is related or not.

mrdivad
05-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Many thanks for the help, i found that my 45xsession file wasnt set to start xfce4 and it obviously got confused because i've ripped out KDE!