PDA

View Full Version : Configure LILO

hellospencer1
04-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Hello,

I'm on doing a Knoppix remastering and I want to include some of boot time options (noeject, noprompt) permanently. I changed the lilo.conf and added these options to the 'append' line.

Now when I'm running lilo, but since I'm in the chroot environment I get this error message.

root@not a tty[/]# lilo
/proc/devices: fopen failed: No such file or directory
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not exist, disk scan bypassed
Warning: The boot sector and map file are on different disks.
Fatal: APPEND or LITERAL may not contain "vga="

Now my question: How can I create a new lilo boot configuration, when remastering?

Thanks for comments and suggestions!

tr
04-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Now my question: How can I create a new lilo boot configuration, when remastering?

Just edit /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg file. This is the lilo file in live-CD! Those options in APPEND line are used also after hard disk installation.

You can't and you don't need to run 'lilo' in chroot environment.

-tapsa-

nvgringo
04-11-2006, 02:47 AM
When you edit the isolinux.cfg you must add or remove the ### at the end to kep the file size the same. If you change the size of the isolinux.cfg file your remaster will not boot. And removing 1 charactor does not always mean that you can make the file the same size by adding 1#. you might have to add 4# or 6# or remove 8#. I don't know why.

tr
04-11-2006, 05:44 AM
When you edit the isolinux.cfg you must add or remove the ### at the end to kep the file size the same. If you change the size of the isolinux.cfg file your remaster will not boot. And removing 1 charactor does not always mean that you can make the file the same size by adding 1#. you might have to add 4# or 6# or remove 8#. I don't know why.

I don't agree. I have added totally new entries and some my own comments to isolinux.cfg and everything works as intended.

-tapsa-

nvgringo
04-11-2006, 02:19 PM
I didn't say that you can not edit the isolinux.cfg file. You can. I only said that the file after the edit has to be the same size as the original. That has been my experience. If I don't have the right size file I get a checksum error and a lovely silver coaster.

tr
04-11-2006, 08:04 PM
I didn't say that you can not edit the isolinux.cfg file. You can. I only said that the file after the edit has to be the same size as the original. That has been my experience. If I don't have the right size file I get a checksum error and a lovely silver coaster.

Strange. I have edited my isolinux.cfg file many times and had different size of the file. But I have wondered why there is at the end of the file many ######.

The size of my file at this time is 2560 bytes. I have also remastered Musix CD and the size of that same file is 3807 bytes. Isolinux.cfg in Debian Sarge's DVD seems to be 834 bytes. And of course, everything works. And there's no ### in original Sarge's DVD. Hope that someone could tell me why the size had to be same sometimes in previous days. Nowadays it seems not to matter.

-tapsa-

Harry Kuhman
04-11-2006, 09:14 PM
The size of the file is free to vary if you are doing a true ramastering. For those trying to just hack the file and replace it inside the existing iso with a different file then the file size must match in byte count.

hellospencer1
04-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks for your help. I was finally able to solve the problem.

I tested your suggestions with following line in isolinux.cfg ..

APPEND noeject noprompt #####..

.. and it worked.

I'm doing a "true remastering" like Harry called it (recomputing the whole image on a harddisk), so I didn't run into any problems with the file size.