PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet card not detected

Steven2ic
04-08-2006, 09:23 PM
I am trying to get a plain-vanilla ethernet card - a Linksys LNE100TX (known to lspci as Linksys NC100) to be detected. Tried both 2.4.27 and 2.6.7 (originally installed from Knoppix 3.6). It shows up fine in lspci -v - has I/O ports, IRQ 11 - looks fine.

Unfortunately, eth0 doesn't show up in ifconfig - or anywhere, for that matter - "Device not found". No mention of it in dmesg, either.

Sounds like I'm missing a module or something ????

Previous had a wireless card in this same PCI slot, which worked with ndiswrapper, etc.

What obvious thing am I missing ?

Thanks !

Harry Kuhman
04-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Tried both 2.4.27 and 2.6.7 (originally installed from Knoppix 3.6). It shows up fine in lspci -v - has I/O ports, IRQ 11 - looks fine.

Sounds like I'm missing a module or something ????

What obvious thing am I missing ?
By the use of the word that I made bold above, are you telling us that you "installed" Knoppix? If so, this is one of the most common and oldest problems that punish people who do this, it is the oldest reported problem in the HDD install forum and has been going on for years, it is a prime reason why we advise people not to try to install Knoppix and to install a version of Linux intended for hard disk such as Debian instead. Does Knopix when booted from CD work just fine?

Steven2ic
04-08-2006, 10:04 PM
OK - found the problem - Needed to add the tulip module (modconf, choose tulip from the list).

Not exactly obvious.