PDA

View Full Version : Refresh rate on Knoppix 4.0 and nVidia 6200 [SOLVED]

sleepingdragon
04-09-2006, 08:23 PM
OK, I'm a little new at all this, so please be gentle with me...

I just installed Knoppix and I'm very happy with it. I got the nVidia drivers from their site and installed them with no probs... except for one.

When I try to run at 1024x768, i get bad screen flicker. The screen is fine at 800x600, the only difference I can see is the refresh rate. At 1024, the rate is 70Hz, at 800 it's 75Hz. My monitor runs at 75Hz, which auto-changes according to the graphics card, so I'm gonna guess that Knoppix won't allow 1024 @ 75Hz. I know my monitor supports this combo (Hansol H551VI) and so does my graphics card, both formerly chained by the ankle to Win XP, I ran this combo on XP for a long time with no problems.

Only Knoppix is trying to run @ 70Hz, everything else is trying to run at 75Hz.

Is there a way of forcing Knoppix to recognize 1024 @ 75Hz and selecting it from the Display Configuration? I know there's a way of changing the XFree86 config file, but I'm not too happy about playing with something I've never done before. I'm willing to give the config file a go, but I need some serious help on that one.

Hope someone can help....

Please. :cry:

brodieboy
04-10-2006, 10:05 PM
there should be a setting in your xorg conf where you specify what resoloution you want per color depth.
so where u see "1024x768"
edit it to read
"1024x768@75"
i think that should work, sorry this isnt exact but im in windows right now and cant access my config.

sleepingdragon
04-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Hi. Thanks for replying. I haven't got the xorg.conf file! I'm on XFree86 config files.

sleepingdragon
04-12-2006, 08:05 PM
OK. I got it solved! All I need to do was to go to /usr/bin/X11R6/xf86config and run it. I entered all the relevant details - mouse type, keyboard type, monitor type, graphics card type, etc. INCLUDING the horizontal and vertical refresh rates. This seems to have reset all the settings made automatically done by X and the screen now runs fine @ 1024x768. I've got full graphics ability and OpenGL is smooth.

I know I'm new to this, but I found that particaular program easy to configure and it did the job easily. No need to reset X either!

S D